Chapter 39

Bella's POV
    He slapped me. He actually slapped me. I'm hit with sudden reminders of Blaise as I storm down to Ginny's room to get my stuff.
    Doors open and teenagers stick their heads out. My cheek stings, but I hardly notice it because of the anger. I'm seeing red, and it's not just because of all the Weasleys. Harry catches up to me and grabs my arm. "What is it Bell?" He asks. I'm afraid if I answer, I'll scream.
    Instead, I say nothing and stomp into Ginny's room and collect my stuff. "Bella?" Remus asks, coming up the stairs. "Go away Remus," I tell him. "Bella, I'm your godfather. I'm cool. You can tell me," he says. I sigh and pick up my bag.
    "George and I got into a fight. He, um, he slapped me," I say. Remus' eyes flash. "He did what?" He asks. "Bella, please tell me you punched him." I shake my head. "No, I just said some pretty mean things," I respond. Before he can say anything else, shouting comes from down the hall.
    "You did what?" Harry is asking, dead quiet. "Harry, listen to me," Remus says, stepping into the room. "Listen? Did you not hear what he did to Bella?" Harry demands. Remus remains calm. "I know Harry and it makes me very angry too but maybe we should all talk about this over a cup of tea," Remus says to the three of us.
    Everyone is dead silent, and after a moment I start to laugh hysterically. Everyone looks at me like I'm mad because I'm  doubled over laughing. "I'm laughing because for the past two years, I've started my year with boys that have hit me," I explain.
    Ginny is the next one to laugh. "This is so not funny but Bella your face!" She exclaims. Next to break is Fred. "Laughing is so wrong right now but their laughing is hilarious," he says. One by one, everyone starts laughing except for George, Harry, and Remus. They all look dead serious. "This is not a laughing matter," Remus says. While everyone is laughing, Harry swings a punch at George. Nobody is laughing after that.
    George is caught of guard, so Harry punches him again. Remus is quick to pull Harry back. "Don't you dare touch Bella ever again!" Harry yells. George nods solemnly. "I won't," he says. I wonder if he means it as in violently, or he's so disgusted he just won't touch me ever again.
    I go home and immediately storm up to my room, slamming the door behind me. The anger starts to fade as I sit on my bed. A tear falls from my eye and drips onto my wrist. I can hear Remus talking with my parents downstairs and I can only imagine that they'll want to talk to me.
    I lay down on my bed and close my eyes, willing to wake up again in George's arms like nothing ever happened. It doesn't work. There's a knock on the door and I can only manage a quiet "what?"
    Although I'm expecting to see my mother or father, it's Remus that comes in. "Bella, I know you're upset," he says. I wipe a tear from my eye. "I'm not," I reply. Remus chuckles before sitting on the edge of my bed. "Why don't you come to my house for the rest of the holidays?" He asks me. "Just enjoy the peace for a little bit."
    I haven't stayed at Remus' house in a long time and I immediately smile. "Yes I would love to Rem!" I reply, jumping up and grabbing my things to put into the bag I brought home. Remus smiles at me. "Great. It's been far too long since you've stayed with me. I'll be downstairs," he replies.
    I decide that I should write a letter before I leave, so I grab a piece of parchment and a quill before scribbling down a short note.
Freddie,
Gone to stay with Remus for the rest of break. See you on the train or at school. Happy New Year!
    Bella

    I send it off with my owl and all but run downstairs where Remus is waiting. He's always been close to me. I know that he and my mum were best friends in school and that's why he's my godfather. Smiling, I reach up and grab the necklace of the wolf that I wear everyday. "To my god - daughter, who's saved me in more ways than one." It says.
    I remember that Remus would get very depressed sometimes. He wouldn't take care of himself. He wouldn't eat or sleep or even move for days. I would floo to his house every so often and yell and scream at him. He's always insisted that he's a monster and that he's dangerous.
    One day, after I had cleaned up, I made dinner. It was Remus' favorite. I took a plate to the armchair he was sitting in and kneeled down in front of him, setting the plate on the coffee table.
    "Remus," I had said in a shaky voice. "You can't do this. You are what you are. I don't know why I come over here so often anymore. It doesn't do any good. My second year starts in a few days Remus. If you don't talk to me, I am not coming back. I've done everything I can and Remmy I can't do this anymore. I can't see you like this," I said, tears falling from my eyes.
    For the first time in weeks, Remus looked at me and seemed to really see me. He wiped the tears from my face and hugged me tightly. "Annabella, you are amazing. You've always been around to save me from myself. I knew from the day I found out Sky was pregnant that her child would be something amazing," he said. Surprised and ecstatic, I'd squeezed him tightly. It certainly wasn't the only depression episode he'd had, but it was definitely the worst.
    Of course looking at my godfather now, I know that I have never saved him. I've only been preparing him to save me from the years to come.