Chapter 32

"Wake up, Love." George whispers. I bury my head into the pillow. "It's Saturday!" I cry. The first day of classes was on a Friday. "It's nine o'clock." George says. "I brought you breakfast." I sit up quickly causing George to laugh. He hands me a chocolate chip muffin and a cup of tea. "What shall we do today?" He asks. "Can we just have a lazy day?" I ask. He smiles. "Only if we do it on the Astronomy Tower." He says. I nod. "Okay."
    I pull on some clothes while George goes to the kitchens to get food. When he gets back, I have blankets ready to go. We lug everything up to the tower, where we can see all the students outside enjoying their weekend.
    I lay down on a blanket, as does George, and we just hang out. "What's it like, only living with one other kid?" George asks. "My mum and dad give me a lot of attention, but the house is usually really quiet. I wish I could have a little sister. Someone to teach to do their hair and makeup, give advice about school and boys, that sort of thing." I say. "What's it like having so many siblings?" George sighs. "There's so many of us. Mum can't keep track of us all. She can't even tell Fred and I apart! She always refers to us the same way, Fred and George. It's hardly ever just George or Fred. It's like we're one person. And because we turned out differently, she thinks we're bad apples and that she went wrong somewhere." George says. I lean over and kiss his cheek. "You will never be like that to me." He smiles. "I love you." He says. "I love you too."
    Umbridge's power grows. We learn nothing about defensive spells, and George and I aren't allowed to be near each other. Things with Draco also grow worse. There is no longer a trace of the cousin I knew. No. Now there is just a copy of Lucius. I walk back into the common room one night after meeting George. It's quite late, so I try to be quiet. Draco, a Slytherin prefect, sits on the couch. "Breaking curfew?" He asks. "That'll be a detention with Umbridge." He smirks. I shudder, remembering my last detention. "What is with you?" I say suddenly. "Do you enjoy what she's doing to students?" I ask, holding out my scarred hand. "Do you enjoy seeing people hurt?" I ask angrily. "When they deserve it like you." He sneers. I rip my charm bracelet Draco gave me off and throw it right at him. The sharp part of the silver heart hits him right in the cheek, then falls to the ground where the heart cracks right down the middle. "I hate you." I sneer, and Draco looks surprised. "You are nothing but a horrible, awful coward and I hate you." I say before stomping off up the stairs. I just barely see Draco pick up the bracelet before he's cut off from my sight.
Draco's POV
   I stand in shock. My favorite person on earth. How could I say those things to her? I gently touch my cheek, and a drop of blood falls onto my finger. I tentatively pick up the charm bracelet off the ground. The silver heart is cracked down the middle. "Oh my gosh." I whisper out loud. "What have I done?" A tear slides down my cheek. Then another. And another. And before I know it, I'm on my knees, running my fingers through my hair and crying. What have I become? Through trying to protect my precious cousin, the only true family I have, I've become a monster. I've become the worst kind of person. Not the kind that hurts you physically, but the kind that kills you mentally. I stare into the fire, knowing that this is not fixable. If I apologize, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named will go after Bell and her family, but if I leave things this way, I'm hurting her so badly. I clutch the bracelet to me and just let go. I shake as tears stream down my face, one right after another. I can't live like this anymore. I have nobody left, nobody to care. I've ruined the only person who ever cared about me. "Why?" I sob into the fire. "Why me?" I don't know how long later, I go up into the dorm and look in the mirror. My hair is sticking up everywhere, my eyes are bloodshot, and my nose is red. I'm a mess. A horrible, awful, ruined, mess. I'm sorry Bell I think. I'm so sorry.

Sorry for the sort chapter. Short, but powerful. 🦄