Chapter 44

---Skylar---
With the stress of worrying about Annabella on my shoulders, I haven't been sleeping. After she was taken, Regulus and I decided to stay at Grimmauld place permanently. I'm not going to lie, I'm afraid.
It's about two in the morning when I slip out of bed quietly, leaving my husband to sleep. I go down to the kitchen and turn on the light. To my surprise, it's empty.
I would come down here all the time in the middle of the night when we stayed here last. Sirius never seemed to leave the table. I'd always wake hin up and send him to bed. Now, he's gone.
A pair of arms wrap around me from behind, and I draw my wand quickly and cast the first hex that comes to mind. When my brain registers what I'm seeing, I start laughing. Reggie is standing in the middle of the kitchen, doing a jig.
"I'm sorry," I laugh, removing the spell. "It's alright Love," he says as the kettle whistles. I pour two cups of water and put a tea bag in each. I set the sugar and cups on the table, and Regulus sits beside me.
Regulus scoops my sugar for me. He knows how I like my tea. On his left arm, his dark mark slithers and moves. "It's a hideous thing," he says to me. "It's a part of you," I remind him. He winces as he picks up his cup.
"Does it still burn?" I ask him. Hesitantly, he nods. "Every now and again," he admits. "Reggie, you should have told me," I say to him. "I'm sorry Darling. I've just been so preoccupied with Anna," he apologizes.
"It's alright Sweetheart," I assure him, kissing him lightly on the lips. To my surprise, he presses his lips against mine harder, in way he hasn't since we were young.
"I love you," he tells me. "You are the most amazing which I've ever met. When we got married, it was the happiest day of my life," he says. Smiling, I look back on the day fondly. "I remember the first time you proposed to me and I shot you down," I laugh.
"Well to be fair, I did almost get you killed," he chuckles. "I'm worried about our children," I tell him. His smile turns into a frown.
"Me too. After everything that happened with Anna, I'm terrified," he says to me. "We can't protect them," I whisper, burying my head in his neck. "They're strong like you, Sky. Annabella might not be Gryffindor, but you and I both know how brave she is," my husband assures me.
Suddenly, a screaming comes from upstairs. I go quickly, followed by Regulus. In Bella's room, George is trying to shake her awake. He steps aside when we enter, looking at us as if we know the answer.
Bella screams again. There are no words, but her voice speaks for itself. "She won't wake up!" George exclaims. "It's probably about.....you know," Regulus tells me. "Bella? Wake up!" I exclaim, shaking my daughter lightly.
"Soundproof the room," Regulus tells me. I cast the spell before turning back to Annabella. Regulus is casting some spells on her, and they seem to be working a bit. She's no longer screaming, but she's crying out and thrashing.
"I think I might have to go inside her head," Reggie grimaces. "Regulus Arcturus Black! She would feel so invaded!" I tell him. "Would you rather she keep crying?" He shouts. "She would be so upset," I reply sadly. "She doesn't want us to know."
"I won't do it then," my husband says, continuing to cast spells on our daughter. Finally, it seems to work. She stops thrashing about and seems to be peaceful. "Stay with her George," Regulus says. "Will do," he replies, sitting on the chair next to Bella's bed. I'm not dumb. I know he'll lay down with her as soon as we're gone.
We go into our bedroom, and I cuddle into my husband's chest as he wraps an arm around me. "Reggie," I whisper, my voice shaking. "I don't know what to do anymore." He strokes my hair lovingly. "I know, Love. I know we're both worried about her. She's gone through some unspeakable things," he tells me.
I reach my breaking point and begin to cry. "Why did it have to be her and not me?" I ask. "If it had been me all those years ago instead of James and Lily!" I sob. Regulus freezes. "Skylar Black. Don't you ever say that again," he says. "I know you miss James every day, but without you I would be dead. I would have died in that cave that night," he whispers.
All these years later, memories from the first war still haunt us. "I didn't know James aside from what you told me, but I know he would have never forgiven himself. Sky, I would have died a death eater. I would have died the scum of the Earth," he says.
"I love you," I tell him, feeling safe in his embrace. "I love you more than all the dust in this stupid house," he replies.
--- Annabella---
When I wake up the next morning, I feel strange. I know I had a dream the night before, but I can't remember anything about it.
George has me locked in his arms lovingly, playing with my hair. "There's the most gorgeous eyes I have ever seen," he says. Blushing, I bury my head into his chest. His voice, still husky from sleep, is like music to my ears. "Just because I can't see your face doesn't mean you're not blushing," he says.
Over the next few days, I'm allowed to get out of bed for a bit at a time. I'm glad, because I hate being stuck in my room. Remus is one of my first visitors, and he and I have tea in a sitting room. He hugs me, and when he pulls away, he has tears in his eyes. "You are like my own daughter Bella," he says, and I go to rub my necklace, but then I remember.
Tears spring to my eyes as my godfather looks confused. "I'm sorry Rem. They took it. It kept me comforted in that place and Bellatrix saw it. She ripped it from around my neck the same day she," I motion to my stomach.
A tear makes its way to my chin and falls onto my lap. It's followed by another and another. "Oh Bella!" Remus exclaims, hugging me again. "I'm sure it's not as bad as some of what you went through in that awful place. "Please don't feel bad." I nod, but I still feel awful.
On the first day I get out of bed, my body is still covered in cuts and bruises. My mum has to help me shower. I'm embarrassed at first, but get over it as I stumble on my first steps out of bed.
When she removes my shirt, she gasps and begins to cry. I didn't know that she had no idea about the jagged cuts that run up and down my stomach. Those ones. She runs out of the room, and I make my way slowly back to my bed.
Mrs. Weasley comes in shortly after. "It's alright Dear," she says comfortingly. "It isn't your fault." I nod as she helps me to the bathroom attached to my bedroom. She tries to show no reaction at my stomach, but I see her eyes widen.
Although I try to be independent, I can't get my hands behind my head to wash my hair, so Mrs. Weasley has to help me. After I'm dressed in some loose sweatpants and another one of George's t-shirts, she tries to help me brush my hair. "I'll do it," I assure her before she leaves the room.
I cannot do it. I thought I was strong enough, but I can't gey my arms to stretch very far. I let out a frustrated cry and slam my brush down on the vanity I had brought from home. I decide not to be discouraged and try again. I can't even get through one stroke before tears come to my eyes. I won't give up though. I have to do this one thing.
I'm still crying when my boyfriend walks into the room. "Bells?" He asks, upon seeing my face. "What?" I cry, still trying to get the brush to the end of my long hair. He comes over and takes the brush from me.
"Mum was so pleased at how you could be independent," he says. Another tear falls from my eye. "I am independent George. Give me the hairbrush." He shakes his head. "No. I'm not letting you hurt yourself. I'll do it," he says.
Gently, he works through the tangles in my wet hair. "See? It's not so bad having someone help you," he whispers. Nodding, I get up from the chair and walk to the bed by myself. It was a slow process, but I did it.
"So Bells," George says, sitting on the bed. "Do you want to talk about it?" Before I can stop myself, I snap at him. "No!" He looks hurt for a moment before disguising it with a smile. "Okay it's alright," he says. "Georgie, I didn't mean to snap," I tell him.
I'm so upset with myself! How could I snap at him? He was only trying to help!" George smiles at me before leaning down to kiss my temple. "It's alright Love, I don't mind. You can yell, snap, scream, or whatever," he whispers.