Chapter 28

- Andre's POV -

She's been like this for a month, the doctors say she's improved and the swelling in her brain has gone down,she could come out of her coma today,next week or even next month,that was hard to tell, but they said she has a good chance.

Lumière has been asking non-stop for her mommy. I've tried my best at explaining why she isn't waking up.

I've been basically living at this hospital, Zach has been very supportive,I know I've never really liked the thought of the two of them being together, but right now she needs all the support she can get.

I always had a bad hunch about that Jason guy,I've been working on a case for the past 9 months,my dad asked me to look at "The Transformer".

Apparently he was a gang leader who had got into an altercation with my dad.
"The Transformer" also known as Jason Jones had a plan to kill anyone who meant something to my dad. He planned on starting with my...with Anna,his next target was Lumière, I've made sure he won't get to her,I haven't even taken her to see her mother.

It hurts so much. I've failed Annaiese in so many ways. I've hurt her so many times. I wish she could wake up and I could tell her how sorry I am.
I want to show her that I love her.

But who am I kidding right,she's in love with Jason,I wish I could lie to her,I know the truth about him will hurt her. He made her happy, and to find out it was all false will break her,she's been through so much. Because of me and Jason,her happiness has always been compromised.

My cases are never personal,but as soon as I found out that he had helped Caitlin kill my son...

I close my eyes and sigh,I can't get all worked up now. I need to focus. I look over at the love of my life. She looks so beautiful, as if she will wake up and smile at me and say, 'Did you feed Andrew?' or 'Did you check Lumière's nappy?'
I feel warm liquid trickling down my cold cheeks.

My heart breaks,I know I will never get that back. I fucked up so bad.

"You really do love her, don't you."
I should be shocked but the only emotion I'm able to show these days is sorrow, and anger.
Nicholas walks to the opposite side of Anna's bed and holds her hand.
"Andre,I know I never really accepted you,I just wanted the best for my sister,I wanted her to be happy that's why I let her marry you. I knew you loved her,but she never did,not the way you did."

He doesn't look at me as he says this,his voice is low. Some of his words are choked,I can tell he's holding back the tears that are freely falling down my face.

"I know. I guess I've always known, I just hoped one day..."

I sigh,not bothering to wipe the tears off my face. He holds her hand to his face and lets the tears fall.
"Anna...Anna,oh Anna."
He whispers. He's so broken. He wipes the tears away hastily.

"I'm sorry about...this."

"You don't have to apologise for hurting Nick."

"I'm sure you're hurting the worst."

I look down at the floor.
"Not the most,I think we're all hurting. Anna means so much to us because she's the light,you know,she always wants what's best for people who love her, I'll miss that the most. She fussed over me, did I eat,did I drink enough water. She always cooked my favourite meals when I was mad at her,she brought me lunch at work if I overworked..."

I sighed. I'd lost it all. She was the most caring person in my life.

"Anna,we need you to wake up, I need you to nag me to get married and settle down."

His voice falters. He sits down with a depressing sigh. The only sound in the room now is the beeping of machines.
Memories fill up my head and leak through my eyes.

The first time I saw her at my 26th birthday party,she wore a black silk dress,with a pair of red shoes.
I told Diego that she was going to be my wife. He laughed and told me good luck.
Being a good little brother,he introduced me to her.
She was breathtaking. I took her to my favourite pizza joint.
I smile at all the good times we had.

When she was nervous to meet my dad.
I'm snapped out of my state of reverie by my phone ringing.

"Yes?...Tomorrow?... Well I can make it happen,but it's suspicious... Oh I understand, I'll see you in court then?...Okay."

Nicholas looks at me questionably.
"I have to rush,the court date for Jason has been moved to tomorrow morning."

"Isn't that too soon?"

"No,I have enough evidence to put him in jail tomorrow, I'll have to work on the lead I have after today for the trial,to make sure he stays there forever."

I roll my hand into a fist,the thought of that little fucker gets my blood boiling.

"Thanks for doing this for her,many people wouldn't after how she..."

"Hey,you don't have to thank me,it's the least I can do for her."

I stand up to leave. I hold her hand to my mouth.

"Anna,hang in there,Lumière still needs you and so do I."
I whisper. I nod at Nicholas. He nods back and I leave,I can't wait to put that man away for good.

#

- Nicholas's POV -

I could see the pain written all over Andre's face. It was the same pain that was in my heart. The same pain that caused mom to have a heart attack. The same pain that made Dad go into a state of deep depression, Anna had been through so much.

It broke our hearts that she always had to fight for her happiness.
Jason was going to pay,I knew him from our university days,we never got along,and now I had a greater reason to hurt him. It meant going back to my past,but I had to avenge for my sister's pain.

Andre told me he was behind Andrew's death. I knew I had to crush him,he was planning on disappearing before the court case,I had to pull a few strings to make it closer,he would only find out tonight, which would make it harder for him to run.

I kissed my sister goodbye and left. I had business to take care of.

"He'll pay baby girl,I promise you that."