sixteen

16th July 2012.

(Emma's memory)

"Hey Niall," I answered my phone, "happy birthday!!!! you're finally 16!" "Thanks Niall, I'll see you later in school yeah?" "yeah, bye," He put the phone down as I got out of bed and went downstairs, my parents were already having breakfast. I walked in the kitchen and got my cereal and sat down not bothering to say anything to my parents, I was expecting them to say Happy birthday but they didn't, did they really forget their own daughter's birthday.. After a while I decided to tell them, "it's my birthday today.. I'm 16," I said quietly. My parents both looked up at me at the same time, "so what? Congratulations you are a year closer to death." my dad said annoyed, I sighed regretting saying anything now, "I'm staying at Niall's house tonight," "Why don't you just move in there?" he asked sarcastically, I sighed again, "why the fuck do you keep sighing?" he was getting angry, I didn't say anything, "don't ignore me," he said angrily, "sorry dad." I said not looking at him. "Ladies aren't supposed to sigh Emma," My mum put in, "I'm not a lady, I've just turned 16," I said looking up at her, "don't disrespect your mother like that you worthless piece of shit!" My dad banged the table making me jump, "just get out of here, I can't the stand the look of your face," I sighed leaving my cereal and leaving the kitchen.

I refused to let them ruin my birthday, I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and have a quick shower I put my school uniform on then did my makeup. I didn't bother to say goodbye to my parents, I walked out of the house to see my boyfriend Conor waiting for me, "happy birthday babe," he said kissing me, "thank you," I said as he took my hand and we walked to school.

After school had finished I kissed Conor goodbye, "I'll see you later yeah?" "Yeah babe, bye." I waited for Niall by the school gates, "Hey Niall," "Hey Ems, ready to party?" "Yeah definitely," I said as we walked along. "I invited Hailey," "What why?! You know we don't talk anymore," "yeah but you guys were best friends," "Niall she tried having sex with MY boyfriend, she told him I wasn't good enough for him," He sighed, "sorry," I rolled my eyes, "great, I have to see her," "well there's gonna be a lot of people so you probably won't." 

Niall and Perrie had done a great job organising the party, like usual. I was surpised to see that Niall had invited a lot of people, "Hey Emma!" I turned around to see Conor's friend Dylan. "Hey! Where's Conor?" "He said hes gonna be a little late because he had to clean his room, I have your birthday present in my car, I didn't wanna bring it inside, do you wanna come see it?" "Sure," we walked outside, he opened the car and told me it was in the backseat, I opened the door and went inside, "I don't see anything?" I turned around to see he had come in the car next to me, he was shutting the door and had locked it, "what are you-" I was interrupted by him kissing me, "what the fuck?! get off of me!" I tried pushing him off of me but he grabbed me by the arms, he managed to take my clothes off even though I was crying, and not staying still. He started to take his trousers and underwear off. He took my underwear off and laughed at me as he inserted himself into me. I cried harder at the pain, it was not pleasurable. 

*Present*

"After he was done with me, he told me to put my clothes on and to get the fuck out of his car, I did what he said, I didn't know what to do. I went to find Niall and told him what happened, I broke down in his arms, for the rest of the night I couldn't sleep, I went back home a few days after, I didn't get out of bed, Conor came to visit me and I told him what happened, he didn't believe me, he was Conor's friend, Conor was angry at me, broke up with me there and then on the spot. That's when I stopped going to school, I didn't even bother talking to anyone, Niall came to visit often but I'd just cry, I know he was worried. Anyway, I ended up not going to school for a month, my school eventually rung home and told my parents that if I didn't attend school I'd be thrown out which made my dad mad. I started failing my classes and stopped eating, I remember 6 months exactly after Conor broke up with me, he came to my house in tears, told me he missed me, and that he wanted to get back together, that's how we got back together anyway, he never believed what I told him."

By the time I had finished I was crying, I looked up at Luke who had a mixture of emotions on his face, sad, hurt, angry. I sighed, wiping my tears, "babe," Luke said pulling me into his chest, he wrapped one of his arms around my waist and the other around my back stroking my hair as I cried into his chest, "I thought it was gonna happen to me again," I managed to say through my tears, "I won't let anything else happen to you babe, I'm here, I'm going to protect you because I love you and you mean a lot to me okay?" "okay," I said as he wiped my tears, "another the fault in our stars reference but you wouldn't know because you haven't watched it," I said laughing a little, he smiled at me, "tomorrow after school I promise, come on, let's go back to Niall's," he said as he was about to get up, "no wait, Niall says you have something to tell me.." I felt him froze, "No I don't." "Yes you do, you're lying, I can tell. How do you know him?" He sighed, "well, um, two years ago, I um, went to this party..."