Red Eyes (Chapter 20)

Casey's POV

I stroked Jared's hair back as the sun slowly went down. I tried to think of what his life was like before if he had a family, someone to love. He looked to be almost innocent, but how would I know, he's unconscious.

I gasped as his eyes began to move under his eyelids. This could mean many things! He's either dreaming or waking up. This is a sign that he will wake up, soon hopefully. And why am I so excited? I don't know him, he's just a boy that needs to be saved, and I'm just a girl who needs to save someone to feel needed.
How was I going to explain this to Carl? I haven't even told him yet, he must wonder where I disappear to. I just tell him it's my job, and it is. I just need to stop stressing over a stupid boy. And I should get back to my stupid boy.

I walked through the empty streets holding onto the knife in my belt. I know I'm supposed to feel safe here, but you can never be too sure. I kept walking keeping my eyes peeled for anything. I heard a branch break and in a split second, I had my knife flying through the air. I sighed relieved when I realized it was just Daryl, and the knife landed in the mailbox next to him.

"9 out of 10." He shrugged tossing it back to me.

"Come on that was a 10!" I laughed placing the knife on my belt and he shrugged.

"It missed."  I laughed again and he joined me on the walk back to the house.

"Did you want me to hit you?" I crossed my arms and he pondered for a moment and shrugged and laughed.

"What are you doing out here anyway?" He asked lighting a cigarette.

"My job." I shrugged holding my hand out and he shook his head.

"I'm not ruining you." He said puffing out smoke.

"Ha, I'm already ruined." He shrugged and handed it to me, I took a puff trying not cough. It was disgusting and I did not plan on taking another. Rick probably wouldn't approve anyway.

The lights were still on when I walked into our room. Carl had a comic book in his hand and he looked up and smiled at me. I laid next to him pecking him on the lips and his face scrunched up.

"You taste like smoke." He said and I sighed laying my head on the pillow.

"And I never will again." He nodded reaching for the lamp to turn it off. When it was dark a little moonlight shined through the window. He placed his comic book on the nightstand while I kicked off my shoes and took off my belt. In times like these, I miss pajamas.

"Night." He said and I groaned rolling over onto him.

"I'm not tired." I pouted looking up at him and he shook his head smiling. I smiled to myself climbing closer to his lips and kissing him. He smiled through the kiss playfully trying to push me off. "Please, I'm bored as hell."

"And I'm tired as hell, goodnight Jones."

"No way, Grimes." I fought back and he rolled his eyes, I knew he'd rather kiss me than sleep. He was playing hard to get. I can play games too.

I grabbed his face and grazed my lips over his going to his cheek, then his jaw, last his neck. I felt goosebumps forming on his arms and I smiled following the trail back to his lips. He was shifting, probably wanting me to kiss him. I go back his cheek and right to his ear placing a small kiss on his ear.

"Night, Grimes."

"Casey." He groaned and I chuckled pecking his cheek and laying back down.

When the sun raised I did too. I let Carl sleep in and I went to Judith who was standing in her crib with messy hair. I giggled lifting her and taking her to the kitchen. I made some formula for her and she drank it calmly in my lap. I made toast while Rick walked down greeting me and kissing Judith.

I picked out a book from a shelf in the living room and headed for Jared. They had just finished feeding him when I got there. I pulled up and chair and opened the book, Pride and Prejudice. It was long and most likely boring but it was better than the others.

I'm sure somewhere deep down he can hear me. This just gives me something to do for a few hours. His eyes didn't move at all in the time I was there. By lunchtime, I headed back to the house. I was stopped by Glenn, Noah, and Tara. With them were two men, one we met at the gate, the other was Deanna's son.

"Let's bring the immune too." Aiden, I believe, said, I bumped him walking by placing his gun in my belt with no one noticing.

"I have a name." I crossed my arms and Glenn nodded as I stood next to him. "And I'm not a toy."

"Casey, you wanna come on a supply run?" Noah asked and I shook my head.

"No thanks, I've got some things to do today. That is anyway, Noah." I smiled and he waved as I walked away.

I stopped in my tracks to see Carl climbing the wall. When he disappeared behind it I went inside and grabbed my bag, I touched the gun that I just stole from Aiden to make sure it was there. I stood where he climbed and climbed up the pegs and jumped over. He was nowhere to be seen but I could see his trail. And he was not the only one out here.

It didn't take long to find him, whatever he was after was gone. He jumped a little when I put my hand on his shoulder. I simply chuckled and we headed back for the walls. I didn't want to ask why he was out here. I assumed maybe he saw an animal or something. We followed the sound of walkers with our weapons in hand.

"Where did you hear a gun?" He asked quietly as if someone could hear.

"An asshole who doesn't deserve one," I replied smiling. We came across Rick who seemed to have the same plan as us.

"Be ready." He said as they neared us, I simply scoffed.

"I was born ready." As always it was an easy kill. Blood shed, I was nicked, everything was good. It was nice to have things back to what we call normal.

"Nicely done." Rick chuckled wiping blood on his pants while I looked at Carl.

"You look hot covered in blood." I smiled and he laughed rolling his eyes and wiping his hands off. My smile faded and my breathing slowed down. "Something is wrong."

I ran off before I could finish, I lost them in the trees but I knew they were close. I could feel it deep down that something wasn't right back in the walls. When someone in my family was in trouble, I was in trouble. I opened the gates myself and ran in to see Aiden and Glenn angry.

"What's going on?" I asked stepping between the two facing Aiden.

"The hell red eyes." He said and I looked down feeling it.

"Do we have a problem?" I asked, my voice monstrous.

"What the hell!" He backed away and I chuckled scaring the people around us. "You freak! You're crazy!"

"So what if I'm crazy the best people are."

"What did you call her prick?" Daryl asked tackling him. Rick and Carl ran in, Rick went to Daryl and Carl came to me. He calmed me down kissing my forehead. He looked over and pulled away and I looked over to see Enid staring at us.

"Are you alright?" He asked and I nodded as he pulled me into his chest. I watched Enid stare, I felt threatened almost. So I put my hands on Carls' cheeks and kissed him. I'm not letting some bitch get in my head.

Hi hi hi, I've had the longest few weeks and I'm sorry I haven't had time to update! But my Spring Break is sadly about to end. The song is Mad Hatter by Melanie Martinez, have a good week Immunies!