19. After-Dinner Talk

Lorne placed both hands on Valerie's and gently squeezed as he shook his head. "How would anyone have access to those? Didn't you say the files were seized by the Courts?"

"Yeah, they were seized, but he may have had some stored in other places, maybe online. I had an email Saturday morning from Brad, my executive assistant, telling me about a series of tweets. Explicit photos with embedded captions. Horrid captions like, This is the cunt that runs Redburn Holdings." Valerie blew out a deep breath.

"That's one of those words for vulva that we're not supposed to use, isn't it, Mummy?"

"Yes, Sweetheart, no matter how it's used, it's degrading."

"The porn tweets can be quickly removed before they spread."

"That's what I had thought, Lorne. The IT team was immediately put to work scouring Twitter, Instagram, and so on, reporting images and having them taken down." She paused and grimaced. "I had a Zoom chat with the team this afternoon. They've found dozens of accounts tweeting and retweeting each others' images and then closing. So far, they've not been able to track any of the sources."

"Probably using a proxy, a VPN."

"Yeah, that's what we had thought. The team is reporting them as soon as they're found, but by the time Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram or whatever get to them, the accounts have closed. Seems he's relying on the images being copied, re-pinned, retweeted — relying on having them spread organically."

"How do you know it's him?"

"We don't." She shook her head. "But someone is, and this is too coincidental for it not to be him."

"So, what are you doing now?"

"Lying low. Both PR and Legal have suggested I stay away from the office and maintain a low profile. There are already interview requests from the media, and photographers have begun lurking in the lobby." She shuddered. "We're expecting the tabloids to publish some of the images, calling it news."

"That'll send people scrambling to search online for more images."

Valerie nodded as she began sobbing. Lorne knelt beside her chair and wrapped his arms around her, kneading the back of her neck as he tried to calm. "You're safe here. It will all work out."

"You don't need all the garbage I bring, Lorne. None of it. I'm damaged goods with a damaged background, and I don't want to damage you. You deserve someone far better than me."

"Stop being so silly, Mummy. It's so plain to see that Mr Benton loves you. And you know you love him right back. I love him too, and we all need to stick together."

Lorne chuckled. "You're a wise young lady, Chloe."

"I know." She grinned. "And you and I need to help Mummy be happy."

Oh, God! Such an innocent child. Valerie sniffled as she lifted her head from Lorne's shoulder. "I need to wipe my nose."

"Come." He stroked her back as he rose from his knees. "I'll show you to the loo." He assisted her up, led her into the foyer and pointed up the stairs. "The one in the landing is the most convenient from here."

When Valerie arrived in the kitchen a short while later, Lorne and Chloe were loading the dishwasher. She paused to watch their interaction, her eyes watering again. Accept it, woman. This is home. She pulled a piece of toilet tissue from her pocket and dabbed her eyes.

Once the dishwasher was loaded and set to run, the three stood in awkward silence until Valerie said, "We should go back now."

Lorne glanced at the wall clock. "Quarter to eight. Still early. We need to talk about how we're going to fit our lives together."

"Yeah. Details. Lots of details." She dabbed her eyes again.

He pointed out toward the stairs. "There's a large chesterfield down in my office. We could sit for a while and sort through immediate items."

Valerie nodded. "Lead the way." She put an arm around Chloe's shoulders, and they followed Lorne, Chianti joining the parade.

Once they had settled in the large sofa, Lorne said, "I have a meeting mid-morning I cannot avoid and a one o'clock I should also honour. Outside those, I'm free."

Valerie chuckled. "Well, staying away from the office means I'm free. Thinking aloud here — Harrods might be the easiest to use for beds and bedding. A huge selection and priority delivery. Chloe and I could go over early in the morning and arrange for afternoon delivery."

"Makes sense." He tilted his head. "You feel okay going to Harrods after what happened?"

"It was one of the early therapy exercises. Make me see beyond settings and stereotypes. I still felt uncomfortable around photographers, and the thought of modelling made my skin crawl."

"Likely added substantially to the settlement from Harrods. Your loss of livelihood."

"Oh, for sure. My lawyer used two psychiatrists as expert witnesses during the depositions."

"Smart."

"She's now the head of our legal department."

"Great! She understands the current situation."

"Likely better than I do." Valerie trembled as she leaned into Lorne. "Cuddle time." She looked at Chloe. "You too, Sweetheart. Let's see if we can find a nice three-way cuddle."

Chloe scooted along the chesterfield, then turned and sprawled across two laps, wiggled a bit, then said, "This is much better."

Valerie and Lorne continued examining details and making plans as their hands gently caressed.

Later, at a lull in the discussion, Chloe said. "If this is what grown-up love feels like, then I love it. Be sure to tell me when I'm ready for it."

Valerie chuckled. "You still have a few delightfully innocent years to enjoy before you get into the seriousness of it, Sweetheart. But you'll know when you're ready. Remember, it took me almost thirty-four years to discover it, so there is no need to rush."

After another long planning discussion, Lorne nodded down at Chloe, asleep across their laps. "Past her bedtime." He glanced at his watch. "Quarter to eleven."

"Already?"

He nodded. "I'm timeless with you."

"Yeah. Aren't we?" She sighed. "I don't want to leave, but we must."

"Must you?"

"We've no beds."

"We've mine. And there is a Murphy bed in the study for Chloe. Or we can make up this into a bed for her."

"Mrs Forbes will be worried where we are."

Lorne shrugged. "Phone her. Tell her what's happening. She'll need to know, anyway."

"You're a devil, Mr Benton."

"And you're an angel, Miss Redburn."