Puppets

The group came to a stop as Cory gasped and doubled over, "Cory, are you alright?" Ashlie asked worriedly as she hurried over to the blond. Cory tried to nod his head, but gasped once again and squeezed his eyes shut tight. Tommy helped his friend sit on the ground, "What's going on? Is everything alright?" UNi's anxious voice cut into the painful silence. The male's amber eyes were full of worry as he looked at his friend.

"I don't know what's...happening..." Cory gasped as he placed a hand over his chest, "It just started to hurt all of a sudde-" He cut himself off as a fresh wave of pain tore through him like a knife. Nick crouched down next to his friend, "What can we do? Do we still have the stuff from the medpack?" He asked as he turned to Ashlie. The female nodded and sat on the ground next to the brunette and sorted through it, "We have some antiseptic, but I'm not sure that'll help with the infection already in his system." She mumbled.

Ashlie turned her gaze to Nick, worry reflected in his eyes, as well as something else. His eyes were speckled with the bright blue of the Siren. She turned away and looked at Cory, "We have to keep moving so we can get him out of here." Tommy spoke up. The others were silent. He was right, but with the Siren's impending attack splitting up was the worst idea imaginable. Tommy cast a glance at the other members of the group, "UNi and Nick can go look for the last generator and we can stay here with Cor. That way we can get this power on and still watch over him." He suggested, his eyes lingering on the two males mentioned.

UNi seemed relieved at the plan and he nodded his agreement, but Nick didn't seem all that thrilled, "Come on, Nick. They'll be alright while we're gone." The British male spoke up hopefully.

"But will he?" The Siren's familiar voice cut into Nick's thoughts. Her voice was becoming more and more clear, as if she were getting closer to him-and in a way, she was.

Nick sighed and closed his eyes. The last thing he wanted to do was separate himself from the rest of the group, but he had a feeling that if he stayed he would only cause more bloodshed. After a moment, he opened his eyes and looked at the blue-haired male, "Let's go while we have the chance." He responded and got to his feet.

Ashlie watched him as he turned to UNi and started walking. She clenched her hands into fists. She wanted to stand up and wrap her arms around him, place a kiss on his cheek, but that would never be a good idea. Plus, she was worried that it wouldn't be long before he lost control again. Nevertheless, she knew that Cory was the main focus right now; all she could do was hope that everything would be alright among the two.

Cory leaned up against a tree and closed his eyes, trying to block out the pain. He didn't know why his wound was hurting so much all of a sudden, but he knew it was not a good sign. His fever had also returned and he could feel sweat beading on his forehead, "Oh you poor darling. First you're the target of my dear puppet's attack, and now your body is trying to kill you." A feminine voice spoke to him. He opened his eyes and looked over at his friends.

Ashlie was quietly talking to Tommy. She hadn't looked at him, nor had she said anything to him, "It was not the wretched woman that spoke." A smirk was heard in her voice. Cory's breath hitched as he realized who was talking to him, "How did you get in my head?" He asked her, his eyes darting to his friends nearby, "Oh you know, just a little poking and prodding." The Siren responded. Cory shook his head, "This is your fault, isn't it? You're the reason my wound isn't healing." The Siren released a short laugh, "Bravo! You figured it out even before my dear puppet."

Cory turned his gaze to his friends, who were still conversing. He had to tell them somehow.

Ashlie watched Tommy as he talked. She had asked him to explain what he could about his time under the Siren's control in hopes they could figure out a way to free Nick when he lost control again, "I don't remember everything, but I do remember when she sent me back to you guys." Tommy started as he fiddled with the dirt in front of him, "It's like her emotions were my emotions, even though I still had my own, you know? Like her very essence was inside my head along with me. I remember feeling so victorious when I was able to get a hold of Nick, even though a part of me said it was a horrible idea to do that...

"After that, it's kinda muddled and hard to remember, but I do remember seeing the Siren. She's so beat up, Ash." He explained as he looked at the female, "She was missing large chunks of hair, her clothes were torn, she had no shoes, and there was blood all over her. It's like she was beaten and attacked..." He spoke as he visualized the female with a pang. In another life, maybe she had been a sweet girl, "She couldn't have been much older than fourteen. She's so young. Even through all the dirt, blood, and scratches, I could tell  how young her face looked."

Ashlie furrowed her brows. The unspoken question hung in the air-How did she become such a monster? Tommy didn't know the answer, so he remained quiet, "Now that I look back on it, I have to wonder how she ended up here." He spoke thoughtfully as he breathed out.

"I feel so honored. Talking about little ol' me?" The Siren cut into the two's thoughts. Ashlie jumped, looking over at Tommy. He seemed unfazed, almost as if he were used to it, "What do you want, Siren?" He spoke to her, "Just reminding you of the deadline." The female answered, "You don't have long." She added and went silent.

"Don't have long? What does she mean by that?" Ashlie asked, furrowing her brows in worry. She had her suspicions.

"It means she's going to attack soon." Cory cut in.

                                                                                     ----------------

Nick and UNi walked silently together. UNi couldn't help but notice how mechanical the brunette's movements were beginning to become. He looked into his friend's eyes and noticed how blue his eyes were with a start, "Nick, your eyes." He said as he came to a stop, "What do you mean?" Nick questioned as he stopped next to his friend, "They're becoming blue." He answered worriedly.

Nick held a hand up to his cheek, cursing under his breath, "UNi, you have to get back to the others." He said urgently. UNi furrowed his brows, "But what about the generator?" He asked. 

The brunette closed his eyes, "It can wait. I don't want to hurt you."

"Oh if only it were that simple, my darling." A voice spoke from the shadows. UNi and Nick spun around to look at the source of the voice. The moon shone on the shape of the Siren, glinting off of some rusty knives, "Your time is up, mutt." She snarled as she snapped her fingers.

Nick became rigid and stopped moving. UNi glanced at him worriedly, backing up a few steps, "Now, my puppet. I need you to kill him." She ordered as she smirked. Nick slowly stepped forward and took one of the knives before turning to UNi.

His eyes were bright blue.