Questioning

Ashlie fell to her knees as UNi did his best to patch Cory's wound with part of his shirt. Tears stained her sweater where they had fallen heavily. Nick watched with such a fierce look of cold pleasure that it sent goose bumps up the female's arms. She was frozen where she sat and couldn't move if she wanted to.

"Why...? Why would you try to kill us, Nick?" She spoke through a strained whisper, her voice barely audible. Nick stepped close to her and crouched down, leaning to her ear. "Sorry friend, but Nick's not around. He's nothing but a puppet for my pleasure." He said. UNi glanced over at the two nervously, his eyes bouncing from Nick and Ashlie, to Cory.

Nick turned to face the Brit and the motionless blond. "Aw, did I not kill him? I'm more rusty than I thought. I thought I had pierced his heart for sure." He taunted, his blue eyes gleaming with delight. UNi watched the male, unable to speak through the disbelief choking his vocal cords.

Ashlie stared at the brunette in utter despair, the heavy flow of tears blurring her vision. "How could this happen..? All we wanted was to be together... We don't need this torment and torture.." She spoke, picking up a lead-filled arm. Nick looked back at the short girl, not a trace of the rich, gentle brown in the eyes of the man before her.

Her heart ached for him, for his calm, supportive behavior. She reached her hand out to touch his cheek. "Nick..." She hiccuped. "Darling, I must ask you to stop touching him. I'm afraid I can't let you rile him up before he kills you." He said. He pulled his hand away from his cheek and gripped it with a short, reassuring squeeze.

Ashlie stared at their hands, sniffing. As soon as the tender feeling was there, it was gone. Nick released the dark haired female's hand and watched her with a questioning gaze. Ashlie moved her gaze up to his.

Suddenly, Nick dove at her, quickly wrapping his hands around her throat. Her eyes widened in fear. "Ashlie!" UNi frantically wrapped his arms around Nick's torso and tried to pull him away from the female. Nick shot a glare at him out of the corner of his eyes. "U.. Ni.. Get out.. Of.. Here.." Ashlie choked out in gasps. "What? I'm not leaving you, Ashlie!" UNi shouted. "Cory... Could die...! Find stuff... To help him...!" She argued. UNi stared at her with wide brown eyes.

He glanced at the ground. "No.." Ashlie's eyes widened. "UNi! Think of... Cory...!" Nick glanced between the two with a bored expression. "Oh yes, very sad. Now, get your hands off of him." He said. Ashlie looked up at Nick as she gasped for breath. "Oh Nick... I wish I could help you... I know you're in there somewhere, fighting to be heard..." She thought in despair. She closed her eyes.

UNi watched the two with a look of panic. He had to help Ashlie, but he didn't have a clue how to get Nick away from her. He released a breath before diving at the shorter male. The brunette's eyes widened as the sudden weight sent him crashing to the side.

Ashlie's eyes flew open and she sucked in gulps of air. She sat up and looked over at the two, wrestling in the dirt. She looked around. "UNi won't help Cory, so I will." She thought. The glint of metal in the moonlight caught her eye. A chest was near the generator.

She quickly ran over to it and flung it open, searching for a med-pack. She felt the bottom of the chest and searched around it, feeling a soft plastic material. She pulled it out of the chest in victory and ran back over to the group. She threw the pack down next to Cory and moved to help UNi, who was struggling to throw the knife away from him.

She tackled him and grabbed at the knife. With the combined strength of the male and female, they were able to throw the knife aside. Nick grabbed Ashlie's hands and flipped her over him onto the ground. She gasped as the air was pushed out of her lungs once again.

UNi watched Nick with a feeling of dread. At this point, all they were doing was upsetting him. Ashlie sat up after she had caught her breath. She noticed the intense anger burning the brunette's blue eyes. He also seemed confused as what to do at this point.

Ashlie looked over at UNi and saw the confusion reflected on his face. Nick stood and looked at the two. His uncertainty made his movements slow. UNi moved over to Ashlie. "What do we do? We can't attack him..." He whispered. Ashlie shook her head. "Wait and see if he tries to attack us again. Otherwise, we need to help Cory." She answered.

Nick slowly moved in the direction the knife had been flung, his eyes never leaving the duo. He bent down and retrieved the knife. Ashlie and UNi looked at him, noticing the knife in his hand. "Shit... Not again." She mumbled.

Nick stood up, glancing at the motionless blond and then at the two. He noticed the marks forming around Ashlie's throat with an unintentional pang of pleasure. He wanted to move closer to her, apologize and hug her until she felt she could trust him again, but the Siren's influence made it impossible to do so.

Instead, he moved over to Cory's body, the knife poised to throw. Ashlie and UNi noticed the male's intentions and stood quickly, their eyes widening. They moved to catch the knife, just as it was released from the brunette's hand.

And landed in someone else's.