15. More Talk

Valerie and Chloe talked a steady stream all the way back to the hotel, Chloe frequently directing the conversation to Mr Benton. They had just begun discussing his house when they entered their suite, and Valerie answered, "He said it's in Victoria Square."

"Where's that?"

"Across from Buckingham Palace Gardens."

"So, between our home and the Queen's." Chloe pointed to her computer. "Let's look it up."

"You do that while I organise something to eat. We've not yet had lunch. What would you like?"

"Pizza." Chloe looked up from opening her MacBook and smiled.

Valerie pursed her lips. "How about a seafood salad?"

"How about a seafood pizza? The shrimp, chèvre and sun-dried tomato one is my favourite."

"Hmmm. That does sound good."

"Oh, it is, Mummy. You'll love it. Besides, with the thin crust, it's closer to a salad than a pizza." Chloe gave her mother a big toothy grin.

After Valerie had ordered two personal-size seafood pizzas from room service, she snuggled beside her daughter and listened as she read from the Wikipedia page. "Victoria Square is comprised of some two dozen residential houses, which are mostly listed heritage buildings of more than special interest. The five-storey terrace houses were designed by Sir Matthew Wyatt, and they were constructed between 1838 and 1840 to celebrate the beginning of Queen Victoria's reign."

Chloe tabbed to another site she had found. "Look at this, Mummy. It appears Victoria Square would be a good area in which to invest."

"It is, Sweetheart

"It is, Sweetheart. I've done well there." She pointed to the screen. This was my first purchase in the square — in 2009. Then this one."

"That's over two hundred and fifty per cent in five years."

"Plus another half million from rental income while waiting for prices to rebound. It's another example of buying after a market collapse and holding while it recovers. Places such as these will always have strong demand, and their value continues rising over the long term."

Chloe tabbed to the zoomed-in GoogleEarth image. "So, which one is his?"

"I don't know. He doesn't give many details."

"That's good, isn't it? For safety and security." She looked up from the computer screen. "You always remind me about that."

"And it's even more important now with the uncertainty."

Chloe nodded. "Are you scared?"

"Concerned is a better word. Uneasy."

"Does Mr Benton make you feel safer? More at ease?"

Valerie gave a series of small nods. "Yeah, he does." She sighed. "And he makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside."

"Inside your vagina?"

Valerie suppressed a laugh. "That's not a proper question to ask, Sweetheart. It's far too personal. Remember what we talked about? About giving too much information? This is also important when asking questions."

"So where inside is the warm and fuzzy?"

Valerie stood and picked up Chloe. "Let's do one of our high hugs. They always make me feel warm and fuzzy."

Chloe wrapped her legs around her mother's hips and rested her head on her shoulder, arms locked in a tight embrace. They swayed together for a long while, and then Chloe said, "Yeah. Like all tingly. Is this what love feels like?"

"Yeah." She sniffled. "Yeah, it is."

"You're dripping on me again, Mummy. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. These are happy tears." She gave Chloe another squeeze, then set her down. "You've grown up, and you're becoming too big to do this."

"Too big to hug?"

"Never. Nobody is ever too big for that." She knelt and pulled Chloe into another embrace. "You're just the right size this way."

"Will I grow as tall as you?"

"You likely will. Or taller." She kissed Chloe's cheek. "But size doesn't matter. None of the physical aspects does. It's what's inside that counts. Your spirit, your energy, your respect for others, your love of life."

"You always say that."

"Because it's the truth." She kissed Chloe again, then released the hug and stood. "Go tinkle. Wash your hands and get ready for lunch."

<><><>

At ten to five, Valerie and Chloe finished braiding each other's hair, then while they were dressing, Chloe paused and asked, "Does Mr Benton do your hair for you?"

"Not yet." She smiled. "But he enjoys watching me do it."

"Before you're dressed? Like us?"

"Hmmm." How did we get here? "You'd make a great lawyer."

"That means he does, doesn't it? Do you like him looking at you?"

Too far in to back out. "Yes, I do, Sweetheart. When you're ready. When you've established a trust with a man, it will feel nice to have him look at you and appreciate your beauty."

"This is one of the things we don't rush into, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is." Good, she understands that part. "And if we don't rush now, we'll keep him waiting; it's nearly five to."

Two minutes later, as they walked along the corridor toward the lifts, Valerie said, "Remember, too much information is also with questions. Think about what might make people uncomfortable. Sex is a complex topic, and everyone sees it differently. Most don't want to talk about it except with very close friends."

"Like you and me."

Valerie sighed as she pushed the lift button. "Yes, Sweetheart. For now, it should be between only you and me. Some things with nanny, but mostly only with me."

"Until when?"

"Until your body finishes its maturing. Your mind, your hormones and your reasoning will mature along with it, and you'll know. Until then, all your intimate questions should be to me or to the doctor — if I'm there with you."

"Sex is serious stuff, isn't it?"

Valerie nodded as they entered the lift. "Very serious. And very often misunderstood. And it's the misunderstanding which causes problems."

"Like rape?"

"Yeah." She blew out a deep breath as she worked at controlling her breathing. "Let's find something less serious to talk about now."