Chapter 8

I went to the rink the next day, and Yuzuru immediately came up to me.

   "Are you okay? Why did you leave?" He asked me. I froze and looked at him. Then, I smiled nervously.

   "Oh that? I just, um, had a headache. Yeah! A headache!" I said nervously. I'm not the best liar. By far. He frowned and looked at the ground.

   "Oh, okay. Do you feel better?" He asked. My heart dropped.

   You know I'm lying, but you still care for me? Please, don't do this to my heart, I thought. I smiled and nodded.

   "Yeah! I feel really good! It was probably from the flight," I said, not daring to look at him. He looked up and me and nodded.

   "That's good," he said. I looked at him. He looked away. I nodded and smiled weakly.

   "You should go practice. There's not much time left until the competition," I said. He looked at me, and our eyes met. 

   "Okay," he said and started backing up. Then, he broke the stare and turned around. I felt tears in my eyes. I went over to the bench and sat down. Pooh was also there. I smiled and pet his head, tears still in my eyes.

   "Hey, Pooh. Have you been okay?" I asked the stuffed animal. Obviously, it didn't respond. A tear trickled down my face. "My feelings are getting out of hand," I continued. I shook my head and put my hand down. Another tear went down my face. I sighed and wiped it away.

   "Are you okay?" A small, fragile voice asked. I looked to my side and saw the zamboni girl. I smiled weakly and nodded, wiping away my tears completely.

   "I'm fine, but thank you," I said, smiling at her. She frowned a little and sat next to Pooh.

   "Are you sure? I mean, we can talk about it if you want," she said.

   She's so nice. That's why Yuzu liked her, I thought. I looked at her and smiled.

   "Thank you, but I'm not really comfortable right now. I'm sorry," I said, looking at her. She smiled. She was pretty, I guess. She had brown hair, brown eyes, and a decent height. Well, to me she looked, well, I guess plain.

   "It's alright. My name's Laura, by the way. Laura Fernández," she said. My eyes widened.

   "Are you Javier's sister?" I asked her. She nodded shyly. I smiled and nodded.

   "That's cool!" I said. Then, I looked at Yuzuru on the ice. He jumped, spun, and fell. I winced.

   "You're a nurse, right?" Laura said. I looked at her and nodded.

   "Yup! And you're the zamboni driver, right?" I asked. She nodded happily.

   "It's so fun driving it!" She said. I smiled and looked back at Yuzuru. He jumped again. Fell again. He got up and shook himself off. He looked over at me, and I looked at Laura again.

   "So, what's your relationship with Yuzu?" I asked. She looked over at me and shrugged.

   "I don't really know. I guess we're just friends," she said. Then, she looked at me again. "Why?" I shrugged.

   "I don't know," I said, looking down at the floor.

   It's just that he likes you, I thought. I held back my tongue from saying it. I looked at her again. She nodded and stood up.

   "Well, it was nice talking with you. See you later, Y/N," she said, and walked off to another part of the club. I sighed and also stood up. I walked to my locker and opened it. There was a book inside. It was my book. I took it out and went back to the rink. I sat down and looked at the book.

   "The Selection," I whispered, tracing my finger over the title. I opened it and started reading it. After a while, I stopped reading. I looked up and saw Javier on the ice. I cocked my head and looked for Yuzuru. I went over to the ice and leaned on the wall. Javier saw me and smiled.

   "Hi!" He said, skating over and smiling at me. I smiled back and waved to him.

   "Hello! Have you seen Yuzu?" I asked him. He tapped his chin.

   "Have I seen your boyfriend? Yeah, he went over to the locker rooms. Why?" I rolled my eyes.

   "He's not  my boyfriend. And, I just wanted to say sorry," I said. Javier frowned.

   "Why do you need to apologize?" He asked suspiciously. I frowned and shook my head.

   "It's nothing you need to worry about. If you really want to know, ask him," I said, crossing my arms over my chest. He rolled his eyes and nodded.

   "Fine," he said and skated away. I went back to the bench and sat down. I started reading my book again, when a shadow stopped in front of me. I looked up and saw Yuzuru. I stood up and looked at him.

   "Yuzu, I'm so sorry. I didn't want to lie. I really didn't," I said looking at him. He looked at me and nodded.

   "What's the truth?" He asked. I froze.

   "Well, um, I just got a little mad," I said, looking anywhere but Yuzuru. He nodded and didn't ask why I was mad. I was grateful for that.

   "Okay," he said. I looked up at him and smiled. He smiled back and ruffled my hair. I frowned and proceeded to fix my hair. He laughed and helped me fix it.

   "Yuzu, what would you do if your crush had a crush on someone else?" I asked him. He thought for a bit.

   "I would do anything to win her over," he said, looking into my eyes. I blushed and looked away. He smiled and backed up a little, giving me my space. I sighed and looked at him. He smiled even wider.

   "Really?" I asked. He nodded, and I nodded, too. I sighed and looked at him.

   "Why?" He asked. My eyes widened and I tried to think of an excuse.

   "Um, my friend likes someone who likes someone else," I said nervously. He frowned.

   "What about you? Do you have someone like that?" He asked. I shook my head.

   "Nope!" I said. He nodded and backed away.

   "Alright then. Bye," he said, and walked away. I sighed and shook my head.

1055 words! Yay! This chapter was really bleh, but the next will not be that bleh. Thank you again if you're reading this. Have a wonderful day!