Chapter 33: Alone During Battle

Picture Anko as Kikyo, I was lazy and didn't want to draw it. 😅
---------------------------------------
Orochimaru's POV:
"Kabuto, what are you doing? Help her, don't hurt her!" I yelled out, but no one could hear me. I watched as my right hand man caught Kikyo before she could fall and flee the scene as Sasuke walked away. How could this have happened? I took every precautionary measure, yet here I stand trapped by Sasuke.

I had everything; a good home, a wonderful country to run, loyal followers, and a star pupil. Never once had I actually realized just how wonderful a fiancé I had. How could I have completely missed the fact that she would protect me even at the cost of her own life, especially when that fact was right in front of me. I never had anyone close to me until she came along and I finally asked her to marry me, only to be absorbed before we could be married.

I let her steal into my melancholy heart. I know she'll never leave me, even as she fades from view, for she will still be a part of me as I waste away in my lonely prison. Her long, raven hair with blue and red tints, her scent of roses, her sapphire eyes, everything about her would remain with me. It's almost more than I can bear.

Her voice entered my hearing as I thought of her singing when we danced, when she would laugh at Kabuto's misery at times, her chiding when I made a mistake, her confession of love, her pleading with me not to leave her side.

What would the harm be if I sang my troubles away? Sure, I would remember her, but I would never wish to forget.

I cast my gaze forward to see the inside of the Uchiha hideout with Itachi standing before Sasuke. Somehow, I saw Kikyo standing beside him and smiling at me, almost as if I were losing my mind. The image disappeared as he stepped forward. I looked down once more, feeling the pit in my heart grow.

"I was the one who had it all, I was the master of my fate. I never needed anybody in my life, I learned the truth too late," I began, seeing Sasuke begin throwing kunai and shurikens at Itachi with his brother following suit. They continued this barrage until Sasuke pulled out two large shuriken.

I sighed before turning away, not wishing to watch anymore as Kikyo's image once again entered my vision. "I'll never shake away the pain. I close my eyes, but she's still there. I let her steal into my melancholy heart. It's more than I can bear," I finished the verse, as I thought of times I held her curled up in my arms, teased her, made her blush, embarrassed her in front of Sarutobi-Sensei, and everything in between. Those memories haunted me, making me wish to rewrite the past and keep me from being absorbed.

"Now I know she'll never leave me, even as she runs away. She will still torment me, calm me, hurt me, move me, come what may."  The battle continued on as they reached the roof top.  Sasuke continued throwing fire left and right as Itachi used Amaterasu on him. It had them come time for Sasuke to use Kirin, thinking he could actually win this fight.

I cast my gaze down once more. How could I possibly feel happy about being near my return when I have no idea of where Kikyo was taken. I could perhaps track her down. If I know Kabuto well enough, I should think he would take her to another one of the hideouts close by. I felt the chakra barrier keeping me subdued fade away, giving me my opportunity to escape.

I allowed my eight-headed white snake jutsu to overtake Sasuke's body.  I smiled softly as I felt Kikyo's chakra before emerging from one of the mouths.  "Wasting in my lonely tower, waiting by an open door.  I'll fool myself she'll walk right in and be with me forevermore," I finished.  I prepped myself for jumping out and finding Kikyo when Itachi pierced my chest with his blade.  I chuckled.  "Did you really think you could kill me with that?  What!" I exclaimed as I noted the blade.

I couldn't believe my eyes.  The Totsuka blade!?  I felt myself slowly being pulled into the gourd at the end of the blade.  It sped up and fully sealed me away from the world, keeping me in my own little space.

Again, my plans have been foiled!  I can't go to find Kikyo, marry her, hold her hand, walk with her, kiss her, or destroy the leaf now.  This day couldn't possibly get any worse!  I watched as Itachi slumped forward and landed on the ground before Sasuke joined him.  I lied, it can get worse.  It may be good to have Sasuke around, but I still hate him for what he's done, even though Itachi did the same thing.  I felt a tick mark on my forehead as I continued to think about it.

A sigh escaped my lips before sitting down on the floor and looking up at the blank sky.  Kikyo, my love, how can I possibly be there to comfort you when I can't escape?  How could I even be worthy of the love that you so graciously gave to me?  How could I protect you when I couldn't even protect myself from a mere boy!?  I can't!  Not until I get stronger!  That's if I ever get out of here.

Tears slid down my cheeks silently as my thoughts continued on this path.  What would I give to see those sapphire eyes once more?  To hear her voice?  To feel her touch?  To inhale her scent?  To see her smile one last time?  I would give everything and then some more just to be by her side again.  One day...one day, we may finally be together again.  I'll tell her just how much I love her and never let her go again.  I just need to hold her once more.