Chapter 28: Surprise!

Forgive me for the late update, but I've practically been living at school with how we open tomorrow for Cinderella. I'll try to keep my updates to Wednesday's or Friday's. Without further ado, chapter 28.
--------------------------------------------
Kikyo's POV:
I haven't seen him all day.  He said that he and Kabuto had things to do, but didn't tell me what. It makes me think that they're trying to find a back up plan before the week is up. I looked at the small puppet in my hand, its black cloak covering up the black clothing underneath with a fuzzy, grey collar. Shu came up and placed his head in my lap, making me smile.  "What do you think, should I name it and give it special weapons?" I asked.  Shu looked at it, his onyx eyes shining in the dim candlelight of the bedroom.

"Perhaps Daisuke?  And for weapons, he could have poisoned senbon needles," came his suggestion.  I smiled.  A puppet that throws senbons.  Perhaps I could also add a kusarigama. That would do rather nicely. No one would suspect that a child would be armed with such dangerous weapons.

I looked fondly at my newest creation before painting a child-like face on him. "Daisuke, you'll be one of my various trump cards," I spoke fondly. Shu seemed to smile before looking at the now creaking door. I turned my attention as well, but no one entered. Cautiously, I crept towards the door, picking up a small chocolate wrapped in bright red aluminum. I looked up to see the trail led out the door and to the right before looking back at Shu. "Is it possible I've forgotten a special day?" I questioned. He shrugged his shoulders, following me as I gently stepped out the door.

The trail led away in various colors ranging from dark blues to bright yellows. Before I could continue, Shu came out with a small basket, holding out the handle for me to take. I grabbed the handle and placed the chocolate in my hand in the bottom before continuing on the trail.

"Whoever orchestrated this certainly had a lot of time on their hands," Shu commented as the chocolates turned into little stuffed animals. I nodded my head, having a pretty good idea who worked on this, especially when the trail of small animals stopped with a nine-tailed fox and began the new trail of dangos on plates.

Shu forgot the fact that they have to know me almost as well as I know myself, and there's only one person who does.  Dango after dango began to cover the plushies and small sweets.  I ate some of the dangos, but I'd have to leave the rest for later to keep from getting too full before dinner.  The trail finally ended, leading me to the throne room.

I looked down at Shu.  "Ready?" I asked.  He barked in approval with a nod of his head.  I held my breath as I gently pushed open the wooden oak doors.

Orochimaru's POV:
"Finished!" Kabuto exclaimed.  I smiled happily as I examined his work.  The trail looks great, the throne room has been made a romantic dining room, and the steak dinner is absolutely perfect.  All that's left is for the guest of honor to make her way here.

The quiet room made me all jittery and excited.  I hope she didn't forget the importance of today.  But on the off chance that she did, it'll make an even better surprise.  Voices were muffled behind the door, almost making it so I couldn't make out their words.  "Ready?" Kikyo's muffled voice said.  A bark sounded afterwards, making me hurry to sit on my throne behind the dinner table.

The doors slowly creaked open, letting in some more light as Kikyo and Shu entered.  Slithers snaked up my arm to my shoulder, hissing into my ear.  I nodded.  "You and Shu will go play while Kikyo and I spend a romantic evening together," I whispered softly.  He nodded and slithered down my arm, getting Shu to follow him and leave the two of us alone.

Kikyo smiled kindly whereas I smirked at her basket full of goodies.  "I found your trail," she informed.  I chuckled with a nod as I stood up to join her.

"Do you remember what today is?" I questioned.  She shook her head with a brow raised. I chuckled as I helped her to the chair as best as I could in my condition. "Today is a special occasion, for it's the day that we became a couple," I explained as my hand clasped around the small box in my pocket.

Would I actually be able to ask her this time? But what if she rejects me? What if she laughs at my proposition? I couldn't bear the thought of her hating me. I have to do it soon, or she'll completely lose interest!

Kabuto quietly crept out of the room as I sat down, enjoying the candle-lit dinner with Kikyo. After we finished dinner, we walked back to our room and arranged her stuffed animals, but she made sure the one that looked like the nine-tails was close to her side. I smiled softly as she petted the plush. She looked to be thinking once again.

I sat down on my side of the bed and looked at her. "What's on your mind?" I questioned. She looked up at me curiously before sighing.

"I want to save my friend, but I don't know how," she shyly admitted. I chuckled softly before placing an arm around her waist and bringing her closer to me. A dark blush quickly dusted her cheeks, growing darker when I placed her on my lap.

How could I make her happier? How could I make her feel as if she wasn't a failure like she always believes she is?

"Kikyo?" I spoke. She looked up at me expectantly. I was about to ask her what I wanted to when I hesitated, all of those questions appearing in my head once again. I sighed quietly before smiling at her. "I know you can do it," I said. Kikyo smiled kindly at me before yawning tiredly. I looked down at her as she fell asleep with her head on my chest.

Why can't I just ask her already?