Chapter # 31

Unedited.

"Welcome back!" Kanwal's steps halted as soon as Ahad's voice reached her ears.

"How was your day?" Wearing blue jeans and a khaki colour t-shirt, with a small smile playing on lips, he was standing leaning against the dressing table.

His greeting sounds like a mocking to Kanwal, but ignoring it she turns to him and said after putting her handbag on the bed, "Assalam o Alaikum."

"Wallaikum Assalam, you come earlier than I thought. I was assuming that you might not come until you take my information from every person I know." He said walking towards her.

"I am planning to go through this later." She answered calmly.

"Oh! It means I have to send a warning to my men." The smile on his face turned into a smirk.

"Only if you have done something wrong."

"That is the reason men don't like smart women, they have comebacks of everything." He said standing before her with his hands in pockets, "Wouldn't it be better if you had asked me directly instead if going to Moosa?"

"Don't pretend like I didn't."

"I can't understand, why are you so eager to know everything? I am here, with you and I am loyal to you. Isn't this enough?"

Kanwal sighed and try to pass him by when he abruptly stopped him y holding her arm, "I need an answer Kanwal."

"I don't have an answer to your question."

"You don't have or you don't want to give?"

"What is bothering you exactly? I asked Moosa or talked to Yawar about it?"

"I don't care whom you ask, I just want to know that why is it so important to you? What my past has to do with you?"

"Because it isn't only your past Ahad. I was part of it too and so does the people I care." She jerked away from his hand, "I am here, alone. Away from the people I love, away from your and my family, because of YOUR past. I never wanted this, I wished to live with everyone. Among them, being a part of them, but you stole everything away from me. Even my freedom, you throw me in this luxurious cage, with the tag of your wife on my head. So not a single soul would reach me without thinking of you. What have I done to be treated this way? Why there are eyes counting the number of my breath and the number of steps I take? You have imprisoned me in the name of marriage and still, you believe that I don't have the right to know the reason... You might have a clever business mind, Ahad but you don't have the heart to understand feelings." Wiping her tears, she ran off from the room.

Ahad didn't try to stop her, nor she waited for him to call. Kanwal's feelings were muddled, as well as her thoughts and it was all because of his stubbornness.

~*~

He stared Kanwal dashing out of the room, he knew she was crying, he knew she was hurt and he is the one who hurt her. It is just as she said, he took away everything from her. She only had Mahnoor now, who isn't the old Mano as well.

Ahad really detested the idea of Moosa to keep Mahnoor away from her family, especially when she wasn't brought by the rules they have made. He also doesn't like to keep Kanwal away from her family, one of the reasons why he tried to reach her before but she refused him and now he had to follow the rule he made. Between all of his worries and guilt, a part of him was satisfied with the fact that Kanwal knew him from long before and she was his betrothed. Compare to Mahnoor, at least she has a person close to him. But time has shown that it wasn't enough.

Ahad felt something broke within him. The thought on which he was stubbornly clinging was crashed. Lowering head, eyes on slippers, he started to look into his heart. Whatever she said was true. Indeed, there are thousands of eyes noticing her every movement. Every maid and guard in this house directly report everything to Ahad. Why? The reason was unknown to him too. He just wanted to know everything she does, perhaps because of the distance, she keeps with him. From the day they married, Kanwal was near to him, yet seems far. She cared for him one moment and the second she is indifferent. She has become a riddle to him, which he wants to solve desperately. The more things get messed up between them, the more attraction Ahad feels towards her. The tears he was expecting to see the day when he brought her here, came out of her eyes today. Not as tears of hatred but something else. Those tears made him sad, but not sad enough for him to get angry for making her cry.