Chapter #10

"Ahad Bhai." A man wearing jeans and a blue check shirt called Ahad from somewhere in the auditorium. Kanwal heard it, but couldn't register it.

"You go ahead and take the girl with you. Go through all the procedures. I will handle everything here. Oh! And don't forget to invite the staffs to my wedding. Kanwal and I would love to have their blessing. Right, Kanwal?" Ahad turns back to Kanwal who is staring at him with horror in her eyes.

"Take the girl where? Where are you going to take us?" Kanwal's voice barely came out, filled with fear just like her eyes.

"Her destination is yet to be decided, while yours is with me as it's supposed to be. Right, Kanwal?" He said, making eye contact with her.

Kanwal abruptly looked away but remains silent.

"Let's go. It's better to spend more time with your family rather than wasting the last few hours of your life with them." He got up and unintentionally stretched out his hand to Kanwal, which she refuses and got up on her own.

Ahad retracted his hand, cursing himself for forgetting that Kanwal is a typical eastern girl, who wouldn't touch a non-mahram.

"We are going through the back door." Kanwal halted at the moment when Ahad's voice echoed in the empty auditorium and after taking a deep breath, she turns towards the back door without paying any attention to Ahad. She needs to brace herself before reaching home. She can't face her parents while standing anywhere near Ahad.

Kanwal's mind abruptly starts thinking of alternate options and before they reached Ahad's car, Kanwal stopped in mid tracks.

"What is it?" Ahad also stopped to inquire her.

"Are you going to talk to my parents?" Kanwal asked, looking at the floor before her feet.

"Of course, it would be disrespectful to not Salam my in-laws." Ahad answered in a carefree tone.

"Can't you just leave after leaving me on the doorstep?" Kanwal asked with clenched jaws.

Ahad's brows shot up on the tone of her voice and he slowly covered the distance between them, with his eyes fixed on Kanwal's lowered gaze and stiff facial expression.

"And why would I do that?" Ahad asked in a soft voice, standing in front of her.

"There is no gain for you in it and it's a request. I will do as you say and convey your message to them as soon as I reach home, but you will leave without meeting them." Kanwal said, raising her gaze to Ahad.

~*~

Ahad silently stared at the girl who stood before him. He was having a hard time believing that she is the same Kanwal he knew. Just like their meeting last year, she managed to surprise him with her bold behaviour. He was astonished and angry just like before, but right now he felt a strange excitement emerging within him - An excitement of exploring something new.

He noticed that Kanwal lowered her gaze again due to his continuous stare and getting uncomfortable, but he found himself unable to tear his eyes away from her face and when he forced himself, his eyes landed at an expensive watch on her wrist.

"Nice watch." He narrowed his eyes and unconsciously, Kanwal moved her hand away from his view.

Ahad frowned and changed the topic.

"Very well, I will not see your family right now, but I will visit them tonight. Come now." He said, putting on his Sunglasses and strides towards his Lamborghini.

~*~

Kanwal kept to her room since she gave Ahad's message to her parents. She doesn't know how to face her parents, what to say to them or how to give them hope that everything will be fine when she herself saw no hope.

Lying on her bed, Kanwal checked her phone again and reread every single text Mahnoor sent her till now. It pains Kanwal that her friends other than Mahnoor had abandoned her completely at the time when she needs them the most. At least they could have texted her or call her. But they hadn't.