Chapter# 13

'My feelings died when you buried the old Ahad...'

Kanwal's voice echoed in Ahad's mind once again along with a faint voice from his memories, subsiding all his anger towards Kanwal.

'I will drag you inside my grave with me...'

Ahad let out a deep sigh and dropped himself onto the bed. Minutes passed as he lay still staring at the ceiling, but when his stomach started to protest because of hunger, he began to walk out of his room. Making his way towards the kitchen, his eyes search for Kanwal and relaxed on finding her standing near the window of the living room. Without disturbing her, Ahad went to the kitchen and started to make tea, for both of them. 

Ahad was aware that at some point Kanwal is right, he has hurt her. But he couldn't do anything for compensation, especially after the situation in which they got married. He tried to avoid this, knowing the consequences she will face if she were to be selected by this process. That is why he approached her before but she made things difficult for herself. Right now, the only thing Ahad can do for her is to keep his emotions in check, which he sees as highly impossible but at least he could give it a try.

"Breakfast." Ahad said, putting the breakfast tray on the coffee table but Kanwal didn't move a muscle.

"Kanwal-"

"I am not hungry." She didn't let him finish his sentence.

"You didn't eat anything yesterday night too." Said Ahad walking towards her.

"I ate early."

"Don't lie" Ahad held her hand and said, "Come."

"I said I-"

"Sssh! Obey your husband." He put the index finger to his lips.

Ahad played wisely with his words by using "Obey" and "husband" he made Kanwal listen to him and she silently started to eat. Ahad sat beside her and watch her taking small bites of the toast in her hand. He was thinking of forcing her if she didn't eat properly, but she ate enough to call it a proper meal.

After eating, she almost snatched the empty cup from Ahad's hand and got up holding the breakfast tray with her other hand.

"Where is the kitchen?" Kanwal asked in a monotonous voice, looking at the front.

"Right side of the cor-" She walked off before Ahad could finish his sentence.

~*~

Kanwal's eyes once again went wide, after entering the kitchen. It was almost the same size as two rooms in her house. Kanwal didn't belong to a rich family. Her father has an average job in the tax collection department. After a great struggle of her parents, they have managed to build a small house on their own. Kanwal remembered how her mother did savings and how happy she was when they shifted to Shareefabad. Her parents did the whole decoration on their own. This had left wonderful memories for her.

Kanwal wanted the same life, where she could make such sweet memories with her husband and kids and it was one of the many reasons of her satisfaction when she got engaged to Ahad, a man from a simple middle-class family, living a simple life. She never thought that her life would take a one-eighty-degree turn and the same Ahad would make her stand in this huge lavish house. Taking each step slowly, she walked towards the kitchen counter and after putting the tray on it, she turned to look around the place.

~*~

Ahad stood at the kitchen entrance and silently watch Kanwal as she explores the kitchen and dining room next to it. His eyes roam over her figure that is covered in a grey kameez with trouser and blue colour dupatta and then settled on her face, which has a very strange combination of fascination and something which Ahad cannot explain. She slowly peeked inside the dining room and hesitantly stepped inside. With a small smile playing on Ahad's face, he followed her without making a sound.