Chapter # 16

"The mall?" Ahad asked in surprise.

"Yes, the soundproof hall on the top floor of the mall is a perfect area and I don't think they would've agreed to come in a less crowded and private place." Moosa explained.

"Hm! They might take careful precautions after trying to blackmail us. Fine, I'll be there in half an hour."

"Come directly to the top floor, we will meet there." Moosa said and ended the call.

"And I thought I could have lunch with Kanwal." Ahad sighed and came back to the living room where he found Kanwal before receiving Moosa's call, but now the room is empty.

Where did she go now???

Kanwal has a habit of not staying in one place for more than a few minutes like she was restless for some reason. Ahad had asked her several times, but she wouldn't answer or if she did, it was always the same 'nothing'.

Kanwal refused to open up herself to him. She didn't talk, didn't complain or ask for anything. Whatever Ahad said, Kanwal obeyed silently. She didn't even ask for the second time to let her meet her family.

Ahad planned on going back to work when he gave up on their honeymoon trip, but after watching Kanwal in this condition, he postponed his plan to go to work and stayed at home with her. Kanwal spent all day without saying or doing anything. It wasn't like there was a need for her to do house chores, Ahad has maids for it, but sitting silently and doing nothing also wasn't something Ahad liked. Whenever Ahad said something to her, she asked back of what he wants her to do. And Ahad gave up every time.

"Kanwal?" Ahad called her.

"Ji? (Yes)" Kanwal answered.

"Where are you?" He thought her voice came from the kitchen but he wanted to confirm it.

"In the kitchen." On hearing Kanwal's voice, he made his way to the kitchen.

"Where are the maids?" Ahad said when he saw Kanwal working alone in the kitchen.

"I sent them off." She answered without turning.

"Then who's going to make chai (tea) for me?"

"Lunch is almost ready. I will make chai later."

"I won't be eating lunch at home." Kanwal's hands stopped for a second and she turned to the stove to make chai.

"What are you doing?" Ahad asked, standing behind her.

"Chai." She answered like she was throwing a brick on Ahad's head.

"You're a wise wife." Ahad whispered near her ear. Kanwal abruptly took a step away from him but didn't say anything, nor turned to him.

Kanwal is now regretting sending off the maids. She was so bored of doing nothing that she totally forgot how Ahad becomes when they are all alone in the house. Ahad always tries to irritate her when she is working, just like now. He was silently standing right behind her, doing nothing. But his presence and the sense that someone is keeping a close eye on her movements made her confuse.

Kanwal turned to grab a mug. When she was about to pour chai, Ahad stopped her.

"Leave it, Kanwal. I think juice will be better." Kanwal's hands stopped and she gave Ahad an incredulous look.

"Pour me some juice please." He said, leaning against the kitchen shelf. Kanwal almost slammed the kettle on the shelf before pouring juice for Ahad in a glass instead.

Ahad took the glass, thanking her. But when she turned to leave, he quickly put the glass on the side and pulled Kanwal to him by holding her by the waist. Startled by the sudden contact, Kanwal lost her balance, and if it weren't for Ahad's hands around her waist, she would've fallen.