Chapter # 23

Not edited.

"Why didn't you eat anything?" Ahad asked standing near the chair Kanwal sitting on.

"I am not hungry." Kanwal avoided making eye contact.

"You didn't eat last night too." This time she didn't answer.

She didn't want to argue right now, her anger was still as before and the thought of Mahnoor never left her mind. But why she was punishing herself? She didn't understand. Perhaps, it's the only way for her to show her anger.

"Come here." Suddenly Ahad grabbed her arm and drag her into their bedroom.

"What are you trying to show by skipping your meals?" He asked a low voice, still holding her arm.

"You don't have to worry about me. I will eat when I get hungry."

"And when that will be?"

"I don't know." Kanwal tried to push him but he didn't budge.

"Kanwal why are you making everything so difficult for me?"

"It is your misperception, I am not doing anything, nor stopping you from anything." She frowned.

"Yes, you are." He stared into her eyes for a while before saying, "You know, I was thinking to take you to Mahnoor, she might need to know how to save her family and herself, but the way you are now, it's better for you to stay away from her." Ahad left Kanwal and took a step back.

"Whenever I try to approach or try to make things better between us, you always shut yourself in the shell of stubbornness."

"You're mistaken hate as stubbornness."

He smiled mockingly and said, "I know you too well to be mistaken, you can never hate me, Kanwal. Your heart will not allow you to hate me." With that, he picked his phone from the nightstand and left the house.

Kanwal's heart started to pounding hard in her chest when Ahad said what was hidden deep in her heart. She was afraid of this day from the beginning, the day when he realized that she couldn't hate him no matter what. And now, when he has spoken it, she couldn't even think about denying him. A part of her tried to protest against her silence, which was an agreement to Ahad's statement and the other part of her was forcing her to stay quiet and let him perceive the truth. And that part of her had always been strong, stronger than any of her senses. It was this part of her heart, which never rejected Ahad, whenever he touched her or ask her to do something, it was this part which wanted to be loved by him and love him back. It was this part which never allowed Kanwal to think about another man, it was this part which solely belonged to him, answers to him, bows to him and Kanwal have no control over it.

~*~

"Who is going to hang the lights?" Said a boy holding a cricket bat in his hand.

"If it's Hammad's home then I am available, otherwise find someone else." Arsalan leaned back on his hands. Ahad glared at him but didn't say anything because of other neighbourhood boys around them.

"I think we should stop playing now, everyone gets disturbed because of us." A boy suggested sitting on the footpath of the road near Ahad.

"Give up on playing cricket... Because our ground was taken by some mafia people. But we have an option of playing on the street, means we have other alternatives, right. Think, what will happen if they demand our homes, should we give up on it too?" Said Arsalan while staring at the sky.

It was very rare for a jolly natured guy like Arsalan to be in a serious mood, it is usually Ahad's style to say or point out such things in a group.