Sooner Or Later

For an entire week, I battled with myself. After talking with Evelyn, I was tempted to call Warren. I kept staring at the piece of paper with his number on it, wondering if I should call him, hear what he has to say.

I knew if Aaron found out he'd be very upset. But I also knew that leaving the matter alone wasn't an option. I wanted to help Aaron, and he'd have to get over it eventually.

I got up Sunday morning, and after making breakfast for Aaron, I dialed Warren's number before I could talk my self out of it.

He answered, and I froze. "Hello?"

"Hi, um, it's Kyra. Aaron's girlfriend." I let the piece of paper in my hand drop onto the counter.

"Oh! Kyra, yes, I've been meaning to call you. I just never worked up enough courage."

I sat down on my couch and made sure I listened for Aaron.

"Right, I guess I just wanted to hear what you had to say."

I heard talking in the background. "Yes, Evelyn told me that you might want to talk. Maybe we could go out or you could come here."

"We could meet somewhere."

There was a long pause before he spoke. "Thank you for giving me a chance, Kyra." His voice broke.

"It's for Aaron."

"I know."

Having nothing more to say, I hung up, and just as I was about to set it down I got a text message from Orion.

Orion: Can we meet up?

I ignored the text message and walked down the hall into my bedroom where Aaron was laying in bed. He had one arm propped behind his head, eyes closed.

"Aaron," I snapped.

His eyes shot open. "God, you scared me."

I laughed. "Yeah, I know. What were you just doing?"

He smiled innocently. "Nothing."

I crawled onto the bed and straddled his legs. "Right."

"I heard you were on the phone."

Leaning forward, I rested my head on his chest. "Nobody important."

"So, I've been thinking."

"Oh boy."

"I still haven't met your parents. You've pretty much met my entire family, and I haven't even seen a picture of your mom."

I wasn't ready to go there with him yet, so I lifted my head and kissed him. My hands roamed his chest hoping he'd get distracted and drop the conversation.

Disappointingly, he grabbed my wrists and pulled his head away.

"Kyra, come on."

I pouted. "I don't want to talk about it."

He let go of my wrists and frowned. "Are you ashamed of me?"

"No! Aaron, no. I'm not ashamed of you. I love you with all my heart," I told him.

He looked confused. "Then why can't I meet your parents?"

I knew my dad would come to like Aaron. He would want me to be happy. But my mom would most likely have a different reaction. I wasn't keen on the idea of Aaron seeing the cold reality of our relationship.

My mom loved me. I was sure of that, but her way of showing it was unconventional. She wasn't affectionate or motherly like most mothers were. It made me feel uncomfortable, and I liked keeping that part of my family separate from the other part of my family which was Deja, Cameron, Kendra, Darnel, and now Aaron.