He's Single

*Edited 5/13/20*

Kendra and I were on a Skype call with Deja and Cameron. They extended their honeymoon for another week. Kendra took that as an opportunity to tell Deja what happened at my boutique yesterday. There wasn't one detail she missed.

When she finished telling Deja my personal business, Deja gave her thoughts on the situation.

"You know I would've said something," Deja said.

"I was in the back holding my tongue, girl. Kyra was not the only one tryna keep it together," Kendra replied, laughing.

In the background I could see they were in a big, luxurious hotel room. Cameron was shirtless and clearly sun kissed while Deja looked just as radiant as she did when she left.

"Are you taking care of our girl, Cameron? 'Cause we'll find out if you're not," I teased.

He leaned into the camera and laughed. "Always. Hey, listen, we have a car coming soon to pick us up so we need to get ready to go. We'll talk another time," he said.

We blew kisses to Deja and waved goodbye to Cameron before they disconnected.

"I miss her," Kendra mumbled then flopped back on my bed.

"Me too."

I really did miss her bubbly spirit. Kendra was an amazing friend too. Deja just brought life to our little group. Kendra had a special relationship with Deja, and I had a special relationship with her as well. But Kendra and I weren't as close as were once were. We had differences that we were willing to overlook. Despite that, we were able to spend time with each other without any problems.

We still managed to have a good time, even without Deja.

"I invited Darnel and Aaron over for dinner," Kendra blurted, breaking the silence.

My heart dropped out of my chest at hearing his name. Hearing his name did things to me. "You did what? I don't think I heard you correctly."

She pointed an accusing finger at me with narrowed eyes. "Oh no, Kyra. You don't get to give me lip. The two of you had a connection last week. He likes you. He chose your store to buy his daughter's sweet sixteen dress."

That meant nothing to me because he was probably married. Besides that, he most likely hated me because I embarrassed him in front of his daughter. I doubted that he was over it.

"Kendra, oh my God, I humiliated him in front of his daughter. He hates me."

She sat up on my bed and pulled one of my decorative pillows onto her lap. "He doesn't hate you. Him and Darnel are friends. So, Darnel is like my inside source. He doesn't hate you."

I found that hard to believe, but I knew there was no swaying Kendra when her mind was made up. Darnel was Kendra's boyfriend of three years. He wasn't as uptight as Cameron, so I could see him talking to Aaron about me. It wasn't hard to believe that.

It was him not hating me that was hard to believe.

Aaron was coming over, and I would just have to suck it up.

***

Kendra set the table then disappeared while I cooked chicken alfredo. It was one of my favorite dishes to make.

When she left I went into a bit of a panic. What if Aaron didn't like chicken alfredo? I knew Darnel loved my chicken alfredo, but Aaron was a completely different person.

My heart fluttered at the thought of having Aaron sitting at my table, eating my food.

After panicking for about ten minutes, I finally pulled myself together. If he didn't like it, he could go buy something else. And I wasn't cooking to please him anyway. Kendra and Darnel were my main priority, so I'd just ignore him.