Make It Right

*Edited*

Brielle and I ended up playing four rounds of Uno. Iris came down, and we played four more rounds. I got to know Brielle a little bit, but she got really quiet after Iris started playing. I could tell the two of them weren't very close which was a shame because I knew a relationship between sisters was very important.

But she liked to talk a lot, telling me stories about her and her friends at school. You'd think the girl was a grown woman with the elementary drama she was giving me. It was cute and innocent, so I listened intently, giving her the appropriate responses when I had to.

Iris made lunch, and we watched movies until Brielle fell asleep. Iris carried her upstairs and came back relieved to finally be alone with me.

"Now, I can finally talk to you."

"What do you want to talk about?"

She sighed dramatically. "Everything. I just found out that my best friend used to like my boyfriend."

High school drama was always a pain in the ass. Someone was always lying or cheating, and it made high school so much worse for me. And being best friends with one of the most popular girls in school didn't help either.

"Who'd you find out from?"

"My boyfriend. He said she used to stalk him or something. It kind of makes me jealous."

Funny how I'd been going through the same thing.

"You just have to trust him."

She nodded. "I want to trust him, but I still feel really uncomfortable."

"Then you should tell him that."

After talking with Iris, I realized that I seriously needed to take my own advice.

***

Iris helped me into the kitchen and rested my leg on a chair. Iris started cooking an early dinner. I gave her the recipe to make spaghetti. Brielle appeared in the kitchen, and we played some music.

We were having a really good time until Aaron came home in a sour mood. As soon as he came in, he went upstairs and showered then he entered the kitchen scowling.

Brielle attacked her dad's leg and wouldn't let go until he lifted her up. She rested her head on his shoulder and buried her face in the crook of his neck.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

He shook his head. "What's for dinner?"

Iris turned down the music and grabbed her Dad's hand pulling him towards the stove. "Kyra told me how to make spaghetti. We'll finally have something new to eat."

Brielle lifted her head and nodded her agreement. "Yeah. The chicken alfredo was pretty gross."

Iris glared. "Who asked you, brat?"

Aaron set Brielle down. "Why don't you go play and Iris will bring your dinner into the living room for you."

Brielle left the kitchen but not before sticking her tongue out at Iris.

Iris rolled her eyes. "She's so annoying. Are you sure she's not adopted?"

"Serve the dinner and disappear," Aaron said.

She got two plates of spaghetti and left the kitchen.

Aaron's eyes fell on me, sending my insides into a frenzy.

He pulled up a chair right in front of me, and he did not look happy. He rested his hand down on the table, and that's when I noticed that his knuckles were all busted up.