The Ex-Wife

*Thanks so much for 4k reads & all the votes!*

Saturday morning I officially closed my store until further notice. Aaron drove me to the store and back to my apartment to pack an overnight bag. I was looking forward to spending the weekend with Aaron and the girls.

While all of that would be good and fun, I was anxious to meet Aaron's mom. I'd convinced myself that she already didn't like me.

When we arrived at his house, Aaron noticed my change in mood. He could read me like a book.

I followed him up the stairs and into his room.

Setting my bag down on the floor, he asked, "Is something wrong?"

I took a deep breath then let it go. There was no point in lying, he'd just figure me out. "What if your mom doesn't like me?"

He laughed. "Seriously?"

I whacked his shoulder. "Yes, seriously. I'm nervous."

He grinned. "Don't be. She'll love you. She's easygoing. Overprotective but easygoing."

He'd said that she was overprotective before, and I didn't know what to make of it. My mind wondered to a scary place, thinking that she'd hate my guts and tell me to leave her son alone if I made one wrong move.

"What do you mean by that?"

Aaron took off his shirt and threw it on the floor. "Do you really want to have this discussion now?" He walked towards me slowly, eyes glued to my chest. "I can think of a few things I'd rather do."

I walked backward until the back of my legs hit the edge of the bed. "Be serious."

He sighed. "My mom will love you," he assured me, but I didn't feel assured.

"How can you be so sure?"

He groaned and dramatically flopped onto the bed taking me with him. "I know my own mother, Kyra. She'll love you."

He trapped me in his arms and kissed my forehead. "Aaron—"

Before I could get another word out, we heard the front door open.

"It's just Viv," he muttered, noticing my startled expression.

Viv?

"Who's Viv?"

He got off the bed, threw his shirt back on and motioned for me to follow him. "Why don't you come with me and find out?"

I followed him downstairs and standing in the foyer was a black woman. She had a dark skin complexion, and she was absolutely gorgeous. Her curly hair shaped her round face that was painted with flawless makeup. She was slim thick too.

Brielle stood behind her in her own little world, thinking about whatever it is children think about.

"Hey," Aaron greeted.

She lifted her chin. "Iris is laying on the couch. Bianca went upstairs. See you Sunday." She handed him a pink drawstring bag.

His brows drew together. "What's this?"

She shrugged. "Iris' bag." Then as if she hadn't noticed me standing there, she jumped. "Who're you? Is this your new bitch?"

My eyes went wide at her audacity. That was never a good way to greet someone. And to make matters worse, Brielle was still standing right behind her.

"You wanna repeat that?" Those four simple words held such a heavy threat, but they seemed to have no effect on her.

Proving my point, she rolled her eyes, waving a careless hand in the air. "I really don't care."

A muscle in his jaw twitched as she bent down and kissed the top of Brielle's head.

"Later," she called over her shoulder, closing the door behind her.

She was just lovely.

"Mommy says bad words sometimes," Brielle told me. "Can we play games?"

Aaron got down on one knee in front of Brielle and smiled. "Go check on Iris for me. Ask her if she needs anything. I have to talk to Kyra for a minute."

Brielle nodded and ran off to find her sister.

"Aaron, you don't have to be upset."

He stood up straight, his hands clenched into tight fists. "That is why I never mentioned her, Kyra. I don't know where she got off calling you a bitch. She's the bitch."

She did seem like a bitch.

"Does she always curse in front Brielle?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I'm guilty of it too. I just don't do it as often."

"Well, why don't we go worry about Iris right now?"

Frowning still, he nodded. "Alright."

Aaron had to go to work, so I was left to make sure the girls didn't kill each other. I didn't mind though. As long as they had their phone or TV, they were angels.

I spent the next few hours hanging out with Bianca and waiting on Iris. But Bianca's idea of fun wasn't all that fun. She sat on the couch texting away while Iris and I watched TV.

Iris was resting her head on my lap as I absentmindedly played with her hair. She was just about to fall asleep when we heard the front door open and close.

"Kyra!"

"In the living room."

Seconds later I felt Aaron's hand move my hair to the side then he kissed my neck. "Hi."

"Hi."

He moved around the couch and sat down on the other side of Iris.

"Hi, children."

"Hey, dad," they chorused.

Iris leaned on her dad with a content sigh. "Feeling better?" He asked.

She nodded. "Now that you're here."

Aaron made a face. "Something smells cheesy."

Iris fought a smile. "Real funny, dad."

They were so cute. I loved watching him with his daughters. He was always so loving and carefree towards them.

"Grandma's coming soon. Get showered. Get dressed. And get hungry."