Chapter 32: Regrets.

Song for this chapter :
Not in that way
Artist:
Sam Smith

***********************************

Unknown POV:

I lay in bed and cough softly. The pain spread out all over my body. The wound stinging agonizingly.

The pain had gotten worse lately.

Meaning , I guess , I am closer to death.

But I deserve it for all I have done in my life.

I could have done a lot of things different.

But I didn't.

I let someone walk all over me and I lost what I wanted more than anything.

I hoped every night since I had met him that I could see him just one more time.

I needed that.

I would be at peace if I had that.

But the chances of that happening are slim to none so I'm not even holding my breath.

I laid there thinking about all that has happened and was startled when the phone rang.

I picked up the phone and waited on the other end for the person to speak before I finally croaked out a raspy, "Hello?"

I heard a sharp intake of breath and then a rough cough as if to compose the speaker at the other end of the line.
"Hello. I am calling to- there was a pause as I heard his voice crack as he struggled to get the words out- to hopefully get some answers." I heard him force the rest out and felt a dull ache in my heart.

He sounded tired.

And stressed.

And very hurt...

Maybe not physically , well I hoped that wasn't the case.

I hoped his health to be good.

His voice seemed to lack emotion other than pain and a dull numbness.

I sighed and closed my eyes.

I spaced out for a second not replying to whatever he was saying or even processing what he just asked me.

Instead my mind wandered to other places.

My mind wandered to the past.

My mind wandered back to the good ol' days.

Back when everything was perfect.

Back when I was happy and had the world in my fingertips.

Back when my true love's fingers were laced with mine.

Back when we had it all and not a care in the world.

Until the dark days hit.

Until I was forced to walk away from the person who made my heart beat and gave me butterflies in my stomach.