Chapter 26

([A/N]: imma save you all some time, this is pretty much a filler but meh)

"Are you sure you're calling?" Bucky asked for the third time.

"I am," Steve sighed out, frustrated. He was walking back in forth the floor, making both Bucky and Sam have headaches just by looking at him.

He has been trying to call [Y/N] right after the meeting. Apparently, this group thas been way too elusive for the police and had made its reputation of being for-hire criminals for the wealthy and dangerous. And out of nowhere, an anonymous tip was handed right over to the police of their location. But all they saw when arrived was a total bloodbath of all its members.

"Dude, we've checked your phone before. There is no trace of [Y/N] in there," Sam complained, pressing onto his temples, getting dizzy just by watching him desperately call his girlfriend when he doesn't even have her number. Steve only looked at him while he was pressing the phone to his ear.

"It's under barista," Bucky muttered, arms crossed and leaning on the couch, already done with everything before it can even begin. Sam's eyes bulged.

"YOU MEAN THE ONE WE SAW-"
Bucky's hand flew towards Sam's mouth, effectivley shutting him up.
"Try a little louder, Wilson. I don't think the whole building heard you."

Sam swatted Bucky's hand off his mouth to angrily whisper to Steve who stopped for a moment.
"You mean, we were right back then?"

Steve only glanced at him for a while but that was enough answer. He only leaned back to the couch and marveled at the fact that he got fooled and even suffered consequences for it.

"Damn, that was months ago..." Sam murmured to himself, remembering back the time Steve gave him the cold shoulder because he thought he went too far but he was right all along. Bucky was right, Steve was an ass.

"[Y/N]?" Steve finally asked as he heard the click of the phone, meaning that [Y/N] finally picked up.

"Stevie, babe. And to who do I owe the pleasure of your call?" [Y/N]'s tone was bubbly and teasing, the usual, though Steve has no time for it.

"We received an intel. Police found the suspected crime syndicate that has been on top of the watch list for some time. The ones you were helping me with. An unanimous tip gave their location away." The sternness in his voice was a tell tale sign that he meant business but [Y/N] really didn't mind it much.

She hummed in recognition, she did remember that part. "I'm hoping this call means they're already taken care of."

"They were all dead. No evidence or explanation whatsoever," Steve emphasized, hinting that she should know what he's talking about. But she was never really cooperative.

"Wow, congrats. That makes the job easier, doesn't it?"

"No, actually. It makes things harder. Now we're faced with who killed them and what motive." Steve knew that [Y/N] knows exactly what he's talking about. She just would never admit it.

"Why are you telling me this then, babe? Need more help?"

"Nothing but this turned up in the investigation. All their files were snatched, erased, but all the ones that we already had knowledge of. Tony said someone took it and didn't leave any tracks behind that even him can't access. That sounds familiar to you?" Steve finally suggested bluntly.