Chapter 23

After that little scene, Steve saw it best to return Bucky back to the tower. But Bucky insisted that he wasn't going anywhere unless Steve comes with him. [Y/N] knew the reservations she had made had gone down the drain.

Steve had convinced Bucky to keep it from the others, wanting to be the one to break the news to them one day. It didn't sit well with Bucky, but Steve knew he'd understand. With the promise that Steve would come clean about it when he's ready, Bucky promised to keep his mouth shut about [Y/N]. But he made sure Steve understood that he still didn't approve of it. Sometimes, subtle, and other times, it was borderline rubbing it in his face.

"Where are you going?" Bucky stopped him just as he was exiting the equipments room after picking up the proper items. He already had his suit on and the shield tucked in its harness. "On the mission, Buck," Steve answered.

"Is your mission going to be important?" Bucky grunted, face neutral but Steve already knew where he's heading. Sam was on the background, inspecting his redwing from the sidelines, listening while also keeping quiet as to not get himself involved in whatever this is.

"Y-Yeah," Steve swallowed, silently wishing that Bucky won't do this in front of Sam. [Y/N] was already waiting for him and he can't keep her waiting for any longer.

"Can I go too?" Bucky requested, eyes flickering to Sam for moment, subtly pointing out that someone was listening. Bucky was really pushing it and he made sure Steve knew that he can. "I don't think that's-"

"Great." Bucky clapped, not taking no for an answer, passing Steve to collect some of the equipments he may need on Steve's "mission". Steve knew what he was playing and just sighed out, hoping he'd take it back.
"Buck," Steve called, trying to think of a reason to not make him go but Bucky only raised a brow at him.

"Why, Steve?" Bucky asked dramatically, one could almost feel the mocking laced in his question.  "I don't have anything better to do. And you look like you've been overworking yourself with all these missions."

"The more agents, the faster the mission," he went on, quoting the words Steve once said, using it against him. Sam could only shift his gaze towards the two soldiers, unsure of the drama he really did not wish to bear witness to.

"Unless you don't want this mission to go faster," Bucky suggested, raising a brow, almost daring him to say it in front of Sam. With someone listening, Steve knew Bucky had him cornered.

Steve sighed and had a resigned look plastered on his face. "No, I think I may need some help-"

"Great, I'm going," Bucky interrupted, turning around to fix and ready his own things for the mission, a corner of his mouth quirked. Steve pursed his lips and pinched the bridge of his nose, looking down at Sam who only held an indifferent expression on his face.  "I rather not be a part of whatever this is, thank you."

______________

"What the hell are we even doing here?" Bucky finally snapped after a few minutes of silence, silently stalking the place, sweeping the area. Steve only chuckled. "Have a little faith, Buck."

"I would have if what I have to trust isn't your dame's psychotic thinking," Bucky murmured gruffly.

There was no way in hell that he can do that. They had this little talk before [Y/N] practically forced them to go inside this way. There was no briefing, no information, no instructions. The only ones she gave them was 'just do whatever I say' and then they'll be all good and somehow, that was already enough for Steve.