Chapter 6

Steve woke up to the sound of soft snores and quiet knocking. He instinctively glanced to [Y/N] to find her sleeping soundly in a bundle of blankets, making him smile at her. He was worried for her wellbeing a few hours ago but looking at her now, with her hair in a mess and limbs tangled with the sheets.

His attention was taken back to the knocking in the distance. Steve immediately checked for weapons around the room and all he saw was multiple gadgets he absolutely had no idea how to use. A gun was the only thing he knew how to use but he decided on not taking it.

He silently strode towards the door, a little bit confused by the miscellaneous locks on the door accompanied with dim red lights. It resembled what a bomb squad would deactivate and that made him nervous and the patient knocking was pressuring him too. The corner of his eye caught the keys he left by the door and quickly took it. He inserted the key with shaky hands in the lock and as he turned, every blinking light turned off and he released a sigh in relief. He should've known all those things were just for show like it's maker. He thought, chuckling to himself.

He hid behind the door as he slowly opened it, going into a fighting stance which quickly melted away when he was greeted by a rather innocent looking old lady sporting thick glasses with a smile and carrying a steamy bowl of soup.

"Uh, hello." Steve greeted meekly, not knowing how to reply. He didn't know if [Y/N] was in a different persona here or if he'll be recognized or anything.

"Good morning." The old woman greeted back, showing off a welcoming smile. She handed the bow of soup towards Steve, confusing him slightly but he took it anyways. "I just wanted to give [Y/N] some chicken soup."

"Thank you very much, ma'am."

"Is she okay? I saw that she was a little tired last night." The woman sounded genuinely concerned and she was. She actually did see Steve carrying [Y/N] to her apartment while she was unconscious. She just needed to know if she was alright by the goodness of her heart. Steve sensed this and felt like she had the right to be at ease.

"Yes, she's getting better. She has been overworking herself," Steve reasoned, quickly thinking of an excuse for what the woman saw.

"Oh, how unfortunate. I know she's a workaholic; always leaving early then going back in the middle of the night. I just get so worried sometimes." The woman shook her head, remembering the very few times she saw [Y/N] go back home and [Y/N] always seemed too tired to be bothered.

"Yes, well, I'll make sure she eats all of this." Steve bantered, gesturing to the bowl and making the mood a little brighter. The old woman chuckled at the young man in front of her.

"She's so lucky to have such a nice boy to look after her." The old woman cooed as she placed a comforting hand on Steve's arm. "Be good to her, okay?"

Steve's brows furrowed in shock. Is this woman saying what he thinks she's saying? "Uh-"

"Of course he will." A voice giggled as Steve felt a hand snake around his arm.

[Y/N] woke up to the sound of Steve trying to be slick a moment ago. She would peek out and silently chuckle at him maneuvering himself from all the stuff she had on her floor. She couldn't forget that frustrated look on his face when he had to open the door. She ought to tease him about it later.

"Thanks for the soup, Laura." [Y/N] took in a deep breath as she leaned onto Steve more. "It smells amazing. Thank you very much."

"It's absolutely no trouble, honey." Laura laughed. The woman reached over for [Y/N]'s hand which she eagerly let her. She patted over it lovingly. Steve was wondering on this change of character. Not to mention that she introduced herself with her real name. "You found such a nice man. And very good looking one at that."