Chapter 3

"That was a close one though," she laughed to herself. The brightly lighted room echoed her cherry chuckling. They almost died under all those rubble. And here [Y/N] was, grinning joyfully as she combed the plaster out of her hair. Steve just couldn't believe this woman's personality.

"How are you so carefree?" The woman just shrugged her shoulders before she leaned on the wall, basking in the fact that she got what she wanted in time without much problems. She didn't expect Steve to show up in the compound again. She calculated that he must've already gotten everyone out to safety. She saw chances of him going back in for a final sweep but she didn't think he'll be that stupid. If what he said about a little girl getting lost, it was least likely. She knows everyone has gotten out; her sensors picked up Falcon with another being flying again. She concluded that they didn't know she was there too so she let him go untouched. He still had that glitch she used to make his suit blow up. The other person must be that Lindsey Steve is talking about. She almost laughed at the captain. Steve has really bad timing and now he's trapped with her because of it.

"So what happened with those people?" [Y/N] turned her head to the side to talk to the captain who had a hundred-yard stare on him. She knows what that simple look meant. She's not a master of body language for nothing. She had to snap him out of it. Having one of those is like relieving a traumatic experience. It's most likely about the mission which confused [Y/N]. He was Captain America. He has seen and experienced things worse than just a moment ago and it was even a success since they're both alive. "You got them all free?" She asked carefully, not wanting to set him off.

"Almost didn't." He muttered. There was something in his tone that unsettled [Y/N]. Was that self hatred or supposed to be appointed to her?

"Why?" She raised an eyebrow at him. Steve released a bitter chuckle. She was so clueless. Is it just her demented mind and lack of empathy? Steve mentally slapped himself at his thoughts. Of course, it was. [Y/N] isn't on the worst of the worst list of the Avengers for her good deeds and contribution to humanity. There's a reason why even Natasha feels threatened of her.

"I could've used some help. It wasn't easy getting them all to safety singlehandedly. There was complications." Steve gritted his teeth. [Y/N] studied his body language. It was obvious he was irritated. She could only conclude it was because she left him a moment ago.

"I don't know what you want me to-"

"I thought I finally understood you," he cut her off. His anger getting the best of him. He didn't even dare to look her in the eye. "Turns out that you can never understand how people like you work."

"People like me?" [Y/N] pointed to herself before she scoffed. She felt offended. She expected that kind of attitude from anyone but not Steve Rogers. "What does that suppose mean?"

He finally looked at her and she could already see the answer in his eyes. He was like everyone. Small-minded people, judging so fast with little evidence. She pressed her tongue to her cheek in suppressed annoyance. She stood up and took the object from her holsters. She threw a hard drive in front of him. "That's what I went back for, Rogers."

"You may have destroyed the weapon but I had to delete the plans." Steve took the USB to his hands and studied it, it was a standard hard drive built for heavy duty file transfers.

"They can kill hundreds of people with that one gun, Steve. But if they still had those blueprints, they can just mass create them."

"...and it'll be catastrophic." Steve completed. [Y/N] had a point. If HYDRA still had her plans, they can make more of those weapons and enhance it. She risked her life getting it out of their servers while he saved the civilians. She had a bigger mission and she took care of it. She clenched her jaw, fighting the urge to make him faint. He was wrong.