Chapter 7

"I could've sworn this was a two person mission." Natasha murmured to herself as she scanned over the files they were given. They were just at a briefing and were handed newfound missions.

Steve found himself silently wishing it was his.

"It's for you, Steve," Nat handed the file to him. He bit the inside of his cheek, to stop the corner of his mouth from turning up. Of course it is. [Y/N], wouldn't have it another way.

This deal of theirs evolved into a habit. For the past 3 months, Steve will be needed for about 2-4 days twice or trice a month. It was always an over the top mission but somehow it only needed the captain. If someone in the team is required to accompany him then just by chance, a mission will be assigned to that person thus leaving the captain on his own accords.

Steve slowly felt that he would be waiting for the said specified mission for him. Even though [Y/N] never credited herself for it, Steve knew that it was her. He was always placed on solo missions that would be too easy even with just him and then before he goes home way earlier than stated, he gets a message from [Y/N] that he's needed. That much coincidence wasn't just pure... coincidence.

"What mission are we going now?" Steve asked worriedly, removing the jacket he wore. He got a text message with only the words: 'urgent mission. come as soon as you've seen this.' With only those words, he speeded towards the place, using his motorcycle.

"You're in for a treat, captain." [Y/N] walked towards him, a small cylindrical object in hand with her usual smirk. "I have a special job just for you."

She shoved the object to his hands before going back to her work space, leaving him confused. "It's called 'hold the flashlight while I fix the thing'."

His shoulders slumped at her words. "You're serious."

"No, I'm [Y/N]." The grin she flashed him showed that she wasn't kidding. No, not one bit. She clapped, calling his attention. "Get to work." He huffed in defeat, turning the flashlight on and taking a seat on the stool next to [Y/N]. He should've known. He should've seen this coming. Only things like these would equal to urgent to her.

"Oh, lighten up, Captain McPouty." [Y/N] chuckled, playfully smirking as she put on her protective gear. "It's not everyday I get America's golden boy to help me make weapons of mass destruction."

He chuckled, smiling faintly. "I wasn't pouting." He was mesmerized by how [Y/N] could multitask all of this. Her mind must be going in speeds he can never be able to comprehend. He blinked as his brows furrowed.

"Weapons of what?"

[Y/N] was tinkering again in her work space. She was trying to make a gun that folds by itself for easy storage and repairing any kinks in her system. She was by far irritated by every small sound she could hear like stool nearby shifting its weight, the humming of an unfamiliar tune, the soft breathing from another person. "Why are you here again?" She asked annoyed, irritably pulling her goggles of her face and placing her tools down on the table.

"Why? Don't you need me?" Steve called out from behind the counter. He saw [Y/N] working and automatically knew he shouldn't be so close to her work. Not when it was blinking like a bomb and multiple computers in front of her were spitting out some codes that only made sense to her.

"No," She turned, clenching her jaw lightly while crossing her arms. She didn't call him. She didn't text him. Hell, she didn't contact him by any way. He just showed up, knocked on the door and called her name. [Y/N] knew it was his free weekend and she didn't need him so she didn't bother to disturb him. But apparently, that was his plan.

Steve innocently tilted his head to the side. "Then, I'll just sit here quietly then." Steve smiled, his eyes lighting up. [Y/N] could curse him right now and punch his perfect face. It's almost as if he knows his smile can affect her choices.

Captain's Vigilante • Steve Rogersजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें