Chapter 14.1: Unmasked

Start from the beginning

"Sai was of a different mind. He was not fit to be a guardian, but he will be back. I am sure," Kaval said as he took a hand through Maoz's hair and smiled. Ari's body grew tense. His eyes narrowed and his hands clenched into fists. He did not know why. Kaval was a friend. It was not as if his lofty smiles were solely meant for him. Ari was already feeling left out as it was. He did not want him rekindling whatever flame he had with Maoz in front of him.

"I know you will not give me your name as I will not give you mine, but I have someone some questions I would like answered."

"Why would I ever give my name to a thing like you? You look too much like him as well. I do not trust you. I do not even want you here. Why is he here again? And how did you...?" 

Maoz gave Ari a fleeting glance before training his eyes back on Kaval. "Did he wake you?"

 "He did." 

"I would have. You know I would have, but I could not leave after Sai left. You know this."

"I do."

"But... you are awake at a cost. You are indebted to him, so you are his to do with as he pleases. A child like him?"

"I am no child," Ari said.

"You are in comparison to us. We are as ancient as the trees, the rocks, and the rivers."

"He is a Great, like us," Kaval said.

"Clearly," Maoz rolled his eyes, unimpressed. "That does not make me dislike him less."

Maoz pulled away from Kaval as he tried to reach for his wrist and made his way back to Ari. 

"Take a closer look, Maoz. Does he not look familiar?" 

Ari's eyes widened when he heard the sound of Sai's voice. He leaned against one of the ice walls melting by the heat of the flames. Both his arms were crossed and he wore no expression. 

Maoz squinted his eyes and shook his head. "He could not possibly be. Look at him." 

"I am certain of it now that I see Kaval attached to him. It is as it always was. He may not be exactly the same, but he is him, more or less," Sai said as he stared at Ari. Ari could hardly hold his eyes.

"I told you, did I not? Not to involve yourself in this-- to go far away from this as possible. Now I cannot help but think you deserve this."   

"I do not know what you are talking about. I just wanted... " Ari's heart pounded out of his chest at what those words might mean. He was himself and no one else. 

"Sai, you do not actually believe that," Maoz said.

"He still has his appetite for pretty men."

"This is ridiculous."

"If you do not believe me, take a look at his markings and see for yourself. He is who we were looking for, but thought to be dead."

Maoz tried to approach Ari, but Kaval stood in his way. 

"You never cared for him then and you will not care for him now," Kaval said.

"There are only three of them, as far as we know. Two of them are blood demons and the other one is a Great. They are everlasting, immortal. It seems only right for him to come back in another form. A rebirth. A new beginning. Deavas," Sai said. 

"My, what a mask he wears," Maoz said. "But, look." Maoz went around Sai and lifted Ari's shirt. "It has cracks." 

Ari backed away and stared at his hands trying to make sense of their words, but he could not. None of it made sense. Koli said it herself, she found him when she was young. He had a mother and father. Everyone told him this. His brows furrowed as things became muddled. Perhaps, they were lying that entire time. Perhaps, everyone was lying to him.

"You have the gift of memory. It only makes sense for you to lose yours. They make us who we are. Without them, we mine as well be another person. It is no longer fit to call you by your old name now, now is it, Harun?" Sai murmured. 

__________________________________________________

[A/N]

A new character name Maoz is now thrown into the mix as well as the mystery woman up above. And Sai is there as well. Ari's world is being shaken to the core. Who was right with their theories of Ari being Harun? Can you believe it? Once you think about it, I am sure everything will start to make a bit more sense, especially Auovin's behavior towards Ari. What do you suppose will happen next? 🤔 Leave me your thoughts down below!

❤️️ This book is coming to a slow close, and I just wanna say that I appreciate all the love this book has been given so far. ❤️