I'm here

Tags: Hollstein, fluff & angst

Missed call from Creampuff

Missed Call from Creampuff

Creampuff (4:50 pm):  Carm pick up

Missed call from Creampuff

Creampuff (4:52 pm): Please, we need to talk :(

Creampuff (5:29 pm): Carmilla..

Creampuff (5:30 pm): I'm sorry, I'll give you space

That was five hours ago, right before Carmilla tossed her phone to the opposite side of the room. It made her feel slightly better knowing she wouldn't have to read Laura's texts, but now that she doesn't have the constant check-ins from her girlfriend, her mind is going crazy with the possibilities of what could be happening.

It wasn't a big deal. Laura just wanted to hang out with Danny at a restaurant in a dress with makeup on her face. Carmilla was fine.

Except she couldn't tamp down her "entitled, self-righteous attitude" enough to be the supportive girlfriend Laura needed, and the fight ended with the angry blonde slamming the door on her way out.

Now she's been out for five hours and every minute is a jarring reminder of their fight and how Laura stormed out and how this is the first night in so long that she won't be eating dinner with her.

She spends the majority of the time thinking up scenarios. Laura coming home with bruises, or worse, that Carmilla could have prevented had she been there. Laura coming home drunk and covered in lipstick stains, quickly tossing her aside in favor of someone taller and redder. Laura coming home with a heartbreaking confession about her having another family that she visits every other week in west Kansas on the north-east side of fuckery ville.

What she doesn't think of is Laura coming home completely fine and sober, if a bit pissed off and a lot worried. Laura coming home and standing in front of Carmilla as she sits on the floor against the bedroom door staring at her phone from across the room, half asleep.

"What the hell, Carm?" Laura says tersely with her hands on her hips, staring down at the pale woman sitting on the hardwood floor.

"How was Danny?" Carm asks with her scratchy tired voice. 

"She was good." Carmilla laughs and looks up at Laura with a raised eyebrow.

"Better than me?"

"Wh- Carmilla! That's not what-" She makes that bunched up face that Carmilla always enjoys. 

"I know, Creampuff." She sighs. "I'm sorry for being jealous and worried."

"I'm sorry too.. um, I'm... I never meant to storm out like that. It probably made things a million times worse." She sinks down to sit next to Carmilla against the wall, placing a hand on her knee and rubbing circles into the skin peeking out from the holes in her jeans.

"A little," Carmilla agrees, her voice lowered to try to somehow hide the truth of that statement. "I shouldn't still get jealous when it comes to Danny. It's been... so many years since college, I know. I just have a hard time trusting her."

"I know, Carm, I know." She leans her head on Carmilla's shoulder and turns to leave a light kiss on her cheek, reaching a hand up to rub the lipstick she left. "I won't stop hanging out with her, because she's my friend and I enjoy spending time with her as my friend, but maybe you could join us next time."

"maybe," Carmilla agrees again and leans into Laura's side. Slowly she wraps her arms around her and hugs her tight to remind herself that she's still with her. Laura hugs back tighter.

Later, when she goes to take a shower. she looks in the mirror to see a small lipstick smile imprinted on the side of her neck.