Yellow Pillow pt. 2

Tags: Hollstein, Fluff, Implied smut, Continuation

If anything, when Carmilla steals the pillow again the next night, it seems like a direct attack on Laura's quality of sleep. Once is an occurrence, twice is a trend. She wakes up in a cold sweat wrapped up in the unending swirl of blankets and sheets. It takes her a few minutes to figure out how to free her legs, but once she does she looks up to see Carmilla wrapped around her pillow again, staring at her, watching her struggle. 

"Carmilla! It's my pillow," she insists indignantly, wiping a hand across her forehead tiredly to get rid of the cold sweat. 

"Debatable." Her shrug seems to break something inside Laura. She slumps over, defeated, and stands. There's no use in fighting it when she knows that they can feasibly share a pillow and get through the night together without having to fight over it, and her heart won't let her forget how appealing it sounds to sleep next to the obnoxious Vampire. 

"Slytherin's bells," she mumbles angrily under her breath while fixes her bed sheets, "one of these days you're going to regret stealing my pillow."

"It's yet to happen, cutie," she says with a smug smirk when the blonde comes up to her bedside and pulls back the blanket. Laura swallows seeing Carmilla lay there in her loose white tank-top and probably shorter than necessary black boy shorts. Could this get any worse? She slides in next to her, regardless, and it's less uncomfortable than last time. Less uncomfortable like how a millionaire might say he has less money after buying a cheap cup of coffee. 

Yet there is a certain feeling of familiarity and charged wonder between them that was there even the first time Carmilla insisted they share the pillow. When Laura places her head on the yellow fabric this time, it's closer than she placed it before--at least it feels closer.

Carmilla, same as last night, puts her hand on Laura's waist and kisses her cheek once, then again. Knowing she could give two kisses without repercussion, why would she settle for just one? She pulls back, only to find Laura's arm around her, her hand pressing flat in the middle of her back, keeping her close.

"Cupcake, I-" She doesn't know what she would have said, but Laura cuts her off anyway so it doesn't matter.

"Shh... you're thinking too much," she whispers, trying to control the way her face feels like it's burning with Carmilla's proximity. In the sliver of moonlight that shines through the curtains Laura can see Carmilla staring back at her with eyes devoid of any mirth or humor, and Laura thinks, just for a second, is there anybody who can say they would sleep next to someone they didn't at least slightly trust? It was just a fleeting thought, a nonsense question, but it flipped the switch. It was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Carmilla the annoying roommate who steals pillows, to Carmilla who Laura trusts enough to share a pillow with on a small twin-sized mattress, who she daydreams about kissing, who she lets eat her good cookies. 

It doesn't take much to close the gap. They're almost nose to nose already, and as she draws closer her nose nudges Carmilla's before she tilts her head up more. She brushes her lips against the vampire's, light and almost unnoticeable. Carmilla kisses back with just as much pressure and carefully cups her face and moves closer, as to not rip the fragile paper wrapped around them in this moment.  The still quietness that seems to blanket everything in those early morning hours plugs Laura's ears so that the only thing she can hear is her own heartbeat pounding while they kiss.

Shaky breaths fill the open gaps they leave, mingling together and drawing them in again for their lips to meet in another kiss. Laura bites Carmilla's lower lip, and then her tongue is gliding along Carmilla's and drawing out a breathy moan from the vampire that she couldn't manage to stifle in time, but she draws her hand up Laura's spine and sends shivers up it that make her gasp. It's a careful give and take.

But then Carmilla drags her trimmed fingernails down Laura's back, scratching it just barely, and the noise Laura makes isn't at all what she was expecting, but is no less enjoyable. The kiss deepens between them like a vortex, and its gravity draws them in closer to each other. They care less about the tranquility and somnific silence that surrounded them before--it is replaced with breathing and rustling and the sound of lips on lips.

It's a sound that, in any other situation, might've made Carmilla want to turn away and hop on the first plane out of there, but this time she's kissing someone, and not being subjected to gross PDA. And not just someone, Laura Hollis.

And Laura Hollis is kissing her. Biting her lip and tugging on it, and kissing her hard, and needy. She's kissing her like she doesn't know how to do anything else, and Carmilla has no problem with that. 

Later, the wrapping paper they had planned to carefully unfold is torn and abandoned in the midst of passion on the floor next to the bed, and the gift box has been opened thoroughly more than a few times. They finally get to sleep once the sun begins to rise, and Carmilla thinks to herself that no, she definitely will never regret stealing the Yellow Pillow.