Being Human

Carmilla is struggling to Adjust to Being Human

Terrible Fluff

Laura expected Carmilla's newfound humanity to be quick and painless. Much like getting a shot, or taking medicine. You feel weird for a little bit and then you're fine. Boy was she wrong. As it turns out, it's pretty hard to spend over three centuries as a vampire and then revert back to being human again.

After two months of living together, Carmilla still struggles with simple human tasks, not being able to use her cat-like reflexes or super-strength to her benefit anymore, which was a significant downside for Laura as well - believe that.

So they've been working together to weed out some of the more problematic habits... for instance... last Friday.

Laura had the day off from her ever-exciting journalism career, and of course she decided to spend it with her lovely human girlfriend Carmilla watching Below Her Mouth.

They're snuggled up together, Carmilla with one arm wrapped around Laura's waist, and Laura laying back against Carmilla's chest turned slightly so she's facing the TV with her head propped up on the pillow that Carmilla has on her lap, giving the older girl room to play with her hair.

"Hey, doesn't that girl look like me?" Laura asks Carmilla, pointing to the short blonde girl talking to one of the main characters. Carmilla hums in agreement, not entirely focused on the movie anymore, too busy brushing Laura's hair away from her neck, searching for the bite mark she left long ago, when they weren't mature enough to even sit in the same room together without butting heads. Laura keeps talking about how she could be an actress on TV if journalism didn't work out for her.

Laura tasted so good then. Like honey mixed with chocolate. So sweet she had a sugar rush every time she drank from her. She can almost taste her now-her taste buds tingle with it.

Before she can fully comprehend what she's doing, she's leaning down and her considerably dull front teeth are pressing down on the old scar, pulling Laura closer to her chest. Laura stops rambling abruptly and sucks in a breath.

"C-Carm, no, you're not a vampire anymore," she tells her girlfriend with a gasp, not sure whether to push her away away or pull her closer. Her girlfriend whines against her neck and bites down a little harder, as if she can somehow grow fangs.

"Carmilla, it's okay," the tiny girl coos, reaching a hand up to pet dark hair, "let go."

She hesitates, but eventually she sighs against Laura's neck and pulls away, but not before leaving a small kiss on the imprint of her front teeth.

"I'm sorry," Carmilla says dejectedly. When Laura looks up at her, she sees an almost adorable pout on the former-vampire's face. "I miss the way you taste."

Laura sits up more and hugs Carmilla close to her. Even though she's happy to be able to live a normal life with Carmilla, she's seen how much the girl has been suffering with this big change. She knows it's going to take time for her to adjust, but she wish she knew how much time.

"It's okay. You'll get through this." They continue watching the movie, and then Laura forces Carmilla to watch all of the Harry Potter movies with her for the fifth time.

But it's not just her fangs that Carmilla (and Laura) miss. They also miss the giant panther that occasionally popped up around the house and wreaked all kinds of havoc, usually ending in Laura forcing Carmilla to spend all day cleaning up the mess she made while she was Catmilla.

That's not to say that all aspects of her are gone, though. There is less hair for sure, but Laura has lost count of the number of times she has walked into a room to see Carmilla playing with a loose string on the couch, or a ball of yarn Laura accidentally left out.

On many occasions, Laura caught herself petting Carmilla's head like a cat, and what's worse is that Carmilla purrs. Anyone not knowing their situation would probably see them and run for the hills. Thankfully Laura and Carmilla have very understanding friends, who graciously invested in a laser pointer for the tiny blonde to use whenever she needs to entertain the cat.

It works better than she expected it to, and whether or not it's healthy, it's outright cute most of the time.

There are many aspects of her inter-species relationship that she will miss, but she's glad that she can grow old wi-

Oh shit, she's a vampire again? FUCK YEAH