The Voicemail

Grayson's POV
It's been two weeks since Annaliese's accident and I haven't been able to stop listening to her voicemail, for multiple reasons.
One- I miss her voice like crazy. I miss being able to talk to her at all. Like text or call or FaceTime.
Two- I can't figure out why she was here in the first place.
But I never let it keep going after she stops talking. I can't hear the sound of a car crashing into her more than once- when I first listened to it, when it first happened.
"Hey Grayson! Um I know this is probably, well, totally random and everything, but I'm in California right now- oh red light- and I drove here because I just... I don't don't know how to explain this. Umm- ohgreen light- I guess I just really needed to tell you something... about us and-"
I can't get it out of my head. It's killing me.
"I'm in California right now- oh red light- and I drove here because I just... I don't know how to explain this."
I need to know why she came.
"Umm- ohgreen light- I guess I just really needed to tell you something... about us and-"
What about us, Annaliese?
About Ethan, you, and I?
About just you and I?
I can't stop thinking about it.

I miss her in a way I never thought possible. She's always been right there, always available for me to be able to talk to her. But now, she's there, but she's not really there. I can see her, I can talk, but she can't say anything back, she can't laugh, she can't smile, she can't make sarcastic jokes, she can't look at me with those gorgeous ocean eyes.
I feel the loss like a dagger to my heart, which is stupid because I haven't even known her for a year yet.
I can't even imagine what her family is feeling right now. They tried to take her back home, but she's in too critical of condition to make the trip.
Which is even worse.

I listen again.
"Hey Grayson! Um I know this is probably, well, totally random and everything, but I'm in California right now- oh red light- and I drove here because I just... I don't don't know how to explain this. Umm- ohgreen light- I guess I just really needed to tell you something... about us and-"
What did you want to say to me, Annaliese? And then I stop. And I listen to it, one more time.
"Hey Grayson! Um I know this is probably, well, totally random and everything, but I'm in California right now- oh red light- and I drove here because I just... I don't don't know how to explain this. Umm- ohgreen light- I guess I just really needed to tell you something... about us and-"
This time I don't just hear the cars in the background or her music softly playing. I listen as close as I can to the way she says things.
And that's when I can imagine the smile on her face, the blush in her cheeks, the awkwardness of her words.
"Holy sh*t. She was gonna confess feelings to me," I whisper to myself.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
"I feel the same as you!" I say, pretty loudly, when I open the door to her hospital room. A confused nurse stares at me with a questioning look on her face. "Sorry, I was just practicing something," I stumble out, trying to make it better. She gives me a polite smile and quickly shuffles out of the room. I wait for her to close the door and grab the chair, pulling it up to Annaliese's bed. I laugh when I can barely do that, there's so much stuff in her room.

Once we released the video explaining what happened, there was an overwhelming amount of love and support to her, her family, and us. The fans sent her so many stuffed animals, flowers, and cards, we had to stop putting them in her room and start bringing them to the warehouse instead. But, her parents wanted to make sure she felt the love when she did wake up, so they got as many as they could to fit in the room.
"Annaliese," I start off, gently grabbing her hand to hold. "I know what you wanted to say- why you were here. And I wanted to say something to you, in case it helps you wake up faster, okay? Umm... wow. This is hard," I take a deep breath and look at the beautiful, wonderful girl laying in front of me, which helps me start talking. "I love you," I blurt out. "Oh my gosh, I just admitted that. Holy crap. But, it's true, in the absolute truest essence of what that means, I do. I totally do, and I want to be with you. I want to laugh with you, to cry with you, to have random photo shoots with you, to go on picnics and look at the stars with you, I want all of it. Hannah once asked me if you were worth the hate we were gonna get, and the answer is yes. I know you're worth it. You're worth every single hate comment. I think a part of me realized that a long time ago, but was too afraid to admit it. I think it was when I found you in the warehouse bathroom puking and when you were done, instead of shoving me off, you grabbed my hand and we just sat together, on the couch, you laying on me. I think that was when I realized it, but I knew it wasn't a possibility yet. And now we are. You are worth everything, because you are everything, Annaliese. I'm sorry it took me so long to finally realize that. Please come back to me. I'll be waiting for you," once I start, I can't stop and it all comes rushing out. Everything that I've been thinking and feeling the past eight months, but was too afraid to say.
________________________________
Ahhhhh! He finally admitted his feelings. But more importantly, he finally accepted them!! I hope you guys are enjoying. Sorry that it was kind of repetitive with the voicemail, but it is the title of the chapter.
Please comment what you think! Keep enjoying!! There are only eleven more chapters left after this! Keep going to find out how it ends.