First Encounter

Alise POV
The face that greets me is... oh my... It. Is. Grayson. As in Grayson Dolan.
Are you serious? NOW is when I meet him? You have got to be kidding me, I think. Seeing Grayson Dolan face to face distracts me momentarily and I forget about the past 24 hours. But even that jawline and Jimmy Neutron hair can only distract me for a minute before every emotion from the past day come flooding back into me like a tidal wave. And that's when I realize even someone like Grayson can't fix what just happened. Can't fix This. Can't fix Me.
Grayson POV
She looks up at me with the saddest smile I've ever seen. I look at her face and see that even if she made a more convincing smile, I still would of known that she was faking because her whole face was red. I didn't expect anything less, considering she had been bawling for 30 minutes. Her face was slightly puffy. When I finally look in her eyes, I have to stop because she has gorgeous blue eyes, only standing out so much because of the red all around then and the slight bags under them. For a whole minute, she sits still, just looking at me. And, to be honest, I start feeling self conscious, wondering if there's something on my face. But, when I look back at her eyes, I realize that there's just a billion thoughts going through her mind. And for that minute, I realize I took the pain in her eyes away, until it comes all flooding back into them, full force. It was a minute, but I was happy I could take away her pain for just a short period, because I've only ever wanted to make people happy.
Alise POV
After realizing that, I knew I just had to tell him to leave. Maybe I would meet him again another day, a fat chance of that, though because I live in Illinois and he lives in New Jersey and California. But before I can get a word out, his sweet voice comes back and he gently whispers,
"Hello miss. I can't seem to be able to find a seat. Could I sit next to you?"
And gosh dang his voice, because I would've been able to tell him to leave if he hadn't spoken up. But, my little perfectly nice brought up hself couldn't be rude to him, since he's been nothing but sweet to me.
I take a deep breath to try to even out my breathing, trying to get rid of all evidence of me crying and respond in my best 'I'm doing just fantastic' voice, "Of course, why wouldn't you be able to?"
"Well, you see, I've been having a meet and greet up at the bean with my brother and this beautiful young woman never came up to say hi," he tells me. So that was what all that screaming was about, I think.
"Oh. I see your problem. That girl must really be stupid to not come say hi," I respond back, as calmly and collected as I can, trying not to freak out over the fact that I now know for sure that he saw me cry.
Grayson POV
It's like I can see a battle in her head from her eyes. I don't know what else to say. 'Oh, also I saw you getting upset on the phone and then bawl for half an hour because I'm a stalker and I'm really surprised that you somehow have kept yourself from crying since I walked up here'? And that's when I realized I was an idiot. A real, live, stupid idiot. Because Grayson, you can't just walk up to a girl and ask her about why she's been crying. So how the heck am I supposed to get where I need to go?
But before I can respond to her attempt to make fun of herself, she speaks again.
"Yeah, so I was almost done sitting here anyway, so you an have the bench to yourself now."
Crap.
"Hey wait." Gentle Grayson. "I never even got your name. Plus, I thought we could talk for a little... if that's cool and not weird or anything." Oh my gosh, of course it is. But I look up and realize it worked cause she's sitting back down.
"Okay. Um my name is Alise. And I would be someone who lived under a rock if I didn't know your name."
Duh Grayson. Sometimes I forget that I have fans. Sometimes I wish I was just a normal teenager again.
"Ethan. Ethan Dolan." I hear her say. And I'm honestly taken aback before I look over and see that sees smirking. But it only takes a second before it goes away and her face settles back to sad.
Alise POV
It was stupid. Why did I try to make a joke. Now he probably thinks that I'm stupid. But when I look back at him, I realize he's staring at me. And smiling. Oh. He knows that it was fake.
Honestly, I thought making a joke and trying to be the normal me might help. But it made me more upset that I was trying to ignore the fact that my boyfriend just screwed me over. Well actually, he screwed Madison, but ya know. And then it made me even more sad because he really was the best boyfriend.
"So, is that a nickname or is that your real name?... Alise?" Oops. Guess I haven't said anything in a while and we are supposed to be having a conversation.
"A nickname." I answer.
"Oh that cool. I've always really wanted a cool nickname. But every cool nickname comes with an even cooler real name. So what's yours?"
I think about that for a second. Colin gave me that nickname when we first started dating and it just kind of stuck. And as soon as I can get rid of it, I'm going to.
"Annaliese." It's weird to say my real name out loud. I haven't in 6 months. I feel a slight pull of being free of the nickname. At least for now.
Grayson POV
Annaliese. Alise. I love them both. It feels so natural to think them in my head and I find myself smiling like a little goof. I suppress it before she can see. So Bench Girl is actually Annaliese. I ask the only logical question I can after hearing that.
"So why'd you start using the nickname when your real name is so beautiful already?" And that's the question I immediately regret. I regret it with all my heart. Her face contorts a little, her eyes start to water, her breathing hitches and her once just sad face turns back to the one that I saw while she was on the phone. It's like the whole world pauses for ten seconds... and then she's crying. She's bawling. I just made her start bawling. 'Oh my god. What do I do?' I scream/think in my head. I... I don't know what to do. And that thought comes back. I am the worst idiot to have lived. I just made the most beautiful girl start bawling her eyes out.