Alise POV

"Six months, last Friday!" I reply cheerfully. My boyfriend and I have been dating for six months. Honestly, I feel pretty proud of myself, it's a long time, especially since he's my first boyfriend and I waited until I was a junior in high school. Especially in this day and age, it's a triumph to get to age 16 without having the clutches of your heart tested and pronged.
"Oh my gosh! You guys are seriously too cute!" My best friend, Hannah, gushed.
Everyone is super excited about anything I tell them about Colin, because they've been waiting for me to get a boyfriend since I moved here, in fifth grade. I moved to quiet, plain, corn-and-bean infested Illinois, to a town with a population of 1400 people. Mind I came from the bustling capital of Iowa, Des Moines. So, it was a bit of a culture shock, not as bad as it would have been if I moved here straight from Chicago. I'm not new to Illinois, but I sure was to the whole only-120-kids-in-your-grade thing.
I smiled down at my feet, the last six months have been awesome, and then looked back up at my group of friends that I'm just beyond grateful for.

The rest of my day passed like normal, but I did get a text from my Dad, "So I know this might be totally late notice, but after you get home from practice, pack for a weekend trip, because we're going to Chicago to visit some friends. We're gonna leave right when you finish packing and I'll drive through the night." I jumped up and down and squealed a little. 'I love seeing my friends,' I thought, 'This weekend is going to be awesome.'
After band practice, I was totally pooped and ready to call Colin and just listen to his voice when I got home. But instead of calling him, it was like he could read my mind, because when I got in my car to drive home, "Incoming Call: My Nerd ❤️️" popped up. I smiled again and laughed, "He knows me so well, it's wonderful."
I accepted the call and before I could say "Well I was just thinking about you," I heard someone yell.
"OH MY GOD! You're joking, right? So, just because your girl isn't going to give it to you, you think that that's all that I'm here for?! Well, you better get your brain working because I'm NOT going to keep sneaking around!"
The voice seemed familiar, but I couldn't quite place it, but then an all-too familiar boyfriend-voice came up.
"Look, I know that this isn't ideal, but she's too innocent to even think about this with me, okay? So, you're my only option."
"Only option... huh... maybe you should break up with her before you even think about doing it again like last week, um'kay? And if you really think we're going to keep sneaking around and get away with it, you should rethink. She'll figure it out sometime. Alise is a smart girl, she's going to figure it out anyway." The first voice was back again. I decided I didn't want to hear anymore and hung up, before he or she noticed that there was a call happening.
I sat in front of my steering wheel, feeling numb, not knowing for sure what I just heard. Before my brain could try to process the conversation, my arm reached over to the radio, turned it full blast, turned the key into the ignition, and pulled away, heading for home.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
The last half hour has been a flurry of me packing, my dad loading it into the car, me getting settled in the backseat, right behind my mom, and us pulling out.
I didn't call Colin when I got home, I don't call him to listen to his voice to help me fall asleep and I don't dream about him while driving to Chicago.