Whoops

Annaliese's POV
I'm in my bed, not moving, letting the hot tears run down my face. I didn't realize how much I wanted Grayson to be there when Hannah said her name, until I was staring at Ethan, not him. They might be twins and look pretty much identical, but they're completely different people. I'm upset that it wasn't actually him, mad at myself for wanting him to be there, mad at him for never facetimeing me or calling me on those weekends they had off to rest, and completely defeated that he never even texted me after I left him that message. At first, I prayed that he would just leave me be, but then my whole personality sank when I realized he never would. He didn't call to argue with me, try to talk to me, or tell me that he wasn't going to let me leave that easily. Every feeling I've ever had the past two and a half months is coming out in the form of tears.
On the car ride home from work that one day, after my friends had so eloquently told me that Rick liked me, I had thought through everything. Rick, him saving me, him being so awkward that day, that GIRL, the man, and Grayson. Lots about Grayson.
Flashback
I slam the car door closed. 'How could Rick like me? There was no way. He was two years older than me and never showed any interest in me. So why would they think that?' And then my brain started thinking about everything that had happened in the past month. He asked me to hang out with him three or four times, was ever so kind the night that everything went down with the guy and is still totally shaken up about it, even when I'm over it.
"Sh*t. He does like me," I admit to myself. "What am I supposed to do now?" And the only person I thought of that I wanted to talk to was... Grayson.
"But, he never talks to you and when you try to, he doesn't answer," I try to reason with myself.
"Ahhh, but he also drove three hours to hang out with you that one day when you called him, crying," I give him credit.
"BUT that one girl attacked me because I was 'getting too close,'" I argue back at myself.
"BUT, that wasn't his fault and you know it." I go back and forth with myself for the rest of the car ride, getting mad when I would realize just how much he did for me and also just how much he didn't do at all. But by the time I was pulling into my garage, I had made up my mind.
'I would go through whatever I needed to, even another attack from that man, if it meant having Grayson a part of my life.'
"Great. I need him to be in my life. I just need to figure out how to get him back," I announced with finality.
End of Flashback
I come back to reality just as I hear a knock on the door, followed by a soft, "Annaliese? Are you okay in there?" I quickly wipe my tears off my face and get up to open the door.
"Hey," I say, opening the door.
"Hey," she says half smiling. "Can I come in?" I open the door fully and gesture for her to come in, which she does.
"I'm sorry. I should have just told you that I was talking to him but I didn't want you to feel awkward, which you ended up doing anyway, so that didn't work," Hannah suddenly bursts out. I chuckle lightly. Before she starts talking again, I speak up.
"It's fine. I get it. You were trying to protect me. You were being my best friend. It's okay," I assure her, grabing her hands, making sure she sees my eyes to get the point across that I'm not mad... at her. "Buttttt... you do have to tell me everything that has been going on with you and Ethan, because I am still your best friend and I must know of these things," I tell her, moving to get the already-popped-popcorn to eat while she tells me.
"Really, you made popcorn?" She lets out, exasperated and smiling at the same time.
"Wellll it was for the movie, but this is going to be so much better," I tell her before I stuff some popcorn in my mouth, showing her I'm ready to listen. She stares at me for a few seconds before realizing I'm not going anywhere, takes a deep breath and plunges into the story of what's been going on between her and Ethan for the past couple of months.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
"I told you, way better than any ole movie," I declare after Hannah finishes her story. She laughs in return. I look at my best friend while she's absorbed in her laughter and I realize just how lucky Ethan is. Hannah is awesome. She's funny, genuinely joyful, and not to mention beautiful. I'm so glad that my amazing best friend found someone. I smile at her and let her happiness distract me from Ethan's twin.
'Crap. They are twins. They're the same in some ways and different in others, but... crap.' I think to myself, mad that it even came up in my mind.
"Are you alright, Annaliese?" Hannah's stopped laughing and is now looking at me, worriedly.
"It's just... if Ethan breaks your heart or does anything to hurt you, I'm gonna have to go after him. Because, no one messes with my best friend without having me they'll have to answer to," I tell her, scared of what Ethan could do to her.
"What? No no no. You're amazing, as always, but that won't be necessary. Ethan's awesome, so you won't have to whoop anyone's butt or anything," she assures me with a laugh and a smile.
"I really hope not," I whisper to myself, scared of what she might feel if anything happened.
"What was that?" Hannah asks, looking back to me.
"I didn't say anything," I respond with a chuckle, to make it more believable.