Work

Annaliese's POV
I needed that phone call, I really did. But, to be honest, I thought the letter was going to be about something else, but how could I be upset when he totally complimented me? And showed me a bit why that picture was given to me? Why it meant so much? And why it was worth sending to me all the way across the country and why it was worth putting on a canvas anyway? I take a deep breath, and start thinking about what I said at the end. If he reads too much into it, he's going to realize that I miss him way more than I miss Ethan, because Grayson and I just had a greater connection from the start. And I like him. A lot. So, I miss him more. That's natural.
"Sweetheart! Birthday girl! The food is ready! Come and get it!" My mom calls down to me.
"On my way!" I shout back. I don't know if anyone will beat his present this year.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A few days later, I was back at work, cashiering, when I noticed a guy, older than me, just standing in one of the aisles, staring at me. I quickly looked away and focused on the customer in front of me. When she left, I looked back and the man was gone. I shook off the weird feeling and looked back to the next customer.
"Hello! How are you doing today?"
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Half an hour later, I see him again and the weird feeling comes back. He turns around and leaves when he sees me looking at him. I shudder, but this time the feeling stays even after he's gone.
I don't see him again for another hour, and I start to settle again.
"Go ahead and go on break, Annaliese," my manager tells me.
"Cool, thanks," I tell her and head off to the break room.
A young girl, about my age, stops me. "You're Annaliese right?" She asks politely.
"Yep, that's me. Do I know you?" I ask, worried that I should know who this girl is.
And then her facial expression changes from sweet to venomous. "No, but I know you. You're talking to Grayson. I've seen the videos that you're in or they talk about you and it's obvious he likes you, but you need to know he's mine. Get it? He's mine," she practically spits in my face.
"I don't understand. Grayson and I aren't-" before I can react, she slaps me in the face. "What was that for?" I ask, bewildered and suddenly scared of this random girl.
"Oh don't even say you're just friends. I know the truth. Just keep that in mind the next time you talk to him- there's plenty more from where that slap came from." She walks right into me when she walks by, which throws me against the wall. 'What the heck? What is wrong with that girl?' I ask myself, rubbing my cheek. 'That red better come out before I have to go back.'
I have a calming break, where I eat some fruit snacks, some watermelon, a sandwich, some chips and drink some water. I put my bag back into my locker and head back out to the front again. On my way, I see the man again, but instead of leaving when I see him, he winks at me instead. I shudder and quickly make my way back up to my manager. I numbly get back onto a register when a customer comes through my line. I pump myself up with fake happiness and get through their order. Luckily, I only had an hour and a half left on my shift and it flies by, leading me back to my locker to get my stuff at the end of my shift. I walk up to the front to say goodbye to my manager, but instead I see the man at the front door. He looks at me, waves, and then walks out the door.
"Are you okay, Annaliese?" My manager asks. I pause before I start speaking, thinking about if I should or not.
"Actually, no. There's been this weird older guy that's been staring at me and creeping me out throughout my entire shift today and he just went outside and as you know, we employees have to park at the back of the parking lot and it's 10:15 at night and I really don't want to go out there by myself," I tell him, my body starting to shake cause I'm scared.
"Hey hey hey hey. You're fine. You're okay. I'll send someone out to walk with you. Would that be okay?" He tells me, legitimate concern lacing his voice. I nod my head, still staring at the door.
"Hey, come back here!" He calls out to someone behind me. I hear footsteps behind me. "Would you walk her out to her car? There's been some weird dude watching her all night and he just went outside?" He asks whoever it is.
"Yeah, no problem, David," the, now I know, man answers. He steps in front of me and I look to see who it is, Rick. I immediately feel myself relax. I'm going to be fine.
We walk out, him right beside me, his eyes searching the parking lot. "So, where'd you park?" He asks. I point to the back. "Okay, cool." We walk for a little while and then I see him across the parking lot. I feel myself tense and I find myself moving closer to Rick. We've been out to coffee, so we know each other better, so I don't feel awkward doing it.
"Is that him?" He nods his head in the direction of the man. I nod. "Maybe if he sees this," he puts his arm around me, "he'll back off." I don't respond, but allow it. I'm legitimately scared now and I'm just staring at my car, holding my keys as tight as possible. After what feels like forever, we get to my car, I open it up and Rick starts to talk.
"So, you good now?" I look around and don't see the man anywhere.
"Yeah, thanks a ton. I really appreciate you doing that. He just freaked me out. I owe you," I tell him, opening my door.
"Okay, then I've really been wanting to go to the new Marvel movie, would you like to go with me?"
"That sounds fun! I'll go!" I respond, still a little freaked out about the whole ordeal. He waits for me to get back in my car and then starts to walk away. In a matter of 10 seconds, my door flies open and the man is right there. He starts to reach in for me, and I immediately scream, the one that I only use for when I play someone getting murdered in a play, and he's stunned by it, he takes a step back. After he gets over the initial shock, he starts to lunge in again, and I slap him, then he's thrown off of me. And Rick is laying on top of him. 'What the actual heck just happened?' I think, then black envelopes me.

_________________________
I honestly got a bit freaked out writing this chapter, not gonna lie, but it's setting something up, but what? Anyway, hope you're enjoying and get ready for the next chapter!