My Hero

Annaliese's POV
I wake up with a throbbing headache. And in a room that I've never been in; I'm not allowed in it. I'm in the managers room. I open my eyes, but immediately close them again when the light hits me. My head is throbbing, but I don't know why. And then I remember, in the chaos of the man trying to grab me, before I screamed, he whacked my head against the door frame. My adrenaline must have been going because I didn't even notice it. And... I might have a concussion, this is great.
'The man... where is he?' I think, looking around panicky. No one. Literally no one is in here with me. You would think that they would be at least smart enough to put someone in here with me, to see when I wake up. Before I can think of anything, I hear voices.
"Who made you do it then, if it wasn't you?" Andrew maybe? I haven't heard his voice that much.
"She told me not to say anything." The man. I get chills down my spine. 'Her?' I think.
"What was her name then? Why did she want you to do this? Why did she make you attack Annaliese?!"
"Something about a boy, a boy named Grayson," the man whines out. The girl. The girl I talked to, well she threatened me, on my break. It was her all along.
"Why did you listen to her? Why would you do such a thing? What does she have against you that would make you do something like that?" I know that voice. Rick.
'Oh my gosh! Rick!' I remember. He's the last thing I remember seeing. Why wouldn't they leave him with me, then?
"Rick?" I yell, and then immediately regret all my decisions because my head feels like it's going to explode. "Rick?" I whisper, wondering if I could even hear myself. Sure enough, Rick comes around the corner. I look up and then back down- that freaking light. It's like he reads my mind, because I hear a small click and look back up to see nothing, well a shadow of Rick, but no light. 'Thank goodness.' I think.
"Are you okay?" He whispers, like he doesn't want to hurt me.
"I'm awake," I whisper back.
"What happened?" He asks, I hear steps, indicating he's moving forward.
"You know what happened. He tried to kidnap me or something, but you saved me. You're my hero. I need you to know how grateful I am, but if you're referring to me reacting to the light like a vampire would, it's because he whacked my head against the door," I tell him, my head starting to throb again.
"Do you need an ice pack or something?" He asks, concern covering his voice. He puts his hand on my shoulder, and I immediately flinch. 'I guess it'll be awhile until I won't flinch when someone touches me,' I think after. He takes his hand away.
"Yes, that would be nice," I answer him. By now, my eyes have adjusted to the darkness and I can see him start to walk away. "Wait," he stops in his tracks and turns around. "What about my parents? They're going to be terrified that I'm not home yet."
"It's alright, we've contacted them. They're coming to get you to bring you home." And with that, he turns and leaves again. And I'm left sitting in a room, in the dark, all by myself.
15 minutes later, I can hear my parents voices down the hall.
"What happened?"
"A man somehow was able to get inside her car and-"
"And how do you explain that? I thought you said you cared about your employees, but you apparently let creepy men roam the store and outside!" My dad was mad, but the worst part was that I knew Andrew was trying to figure out a way we all left happy. Which is going be hard to do, if not impossible.
"Annaliese, sweetheart? Are you in here?" My mom pops her head in the doorway.
"Yeah, I'm here, but please don't turn on the lights, I think I might have a concussion." I can see her face flex, along with her fists, clearly annoyed and mad at anyone who she thought let this happen to me. "Mom, I'm okay, I'm right here, it's fine. Can we just go home? I really would like that right now." I can see the shadow of her smile and she comes to get me.
"Then let's go home Sweetheart."
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I get home and go into my room. I want to pass out in my bed from exhaustion, but I also really have to pee. Which means I have to turn the lights on as well. I flip the switch and am immediately stopped from my complexion coming from the mirror, staring back at me. My right cheek is bruised, turning purple and blue, my lip is cut more than once, and my head has a bump. I stare at myself. Not even two hours earlier, I was just a girl, at work, making money so she could afford to buy her family and friends presents. I was just a 17 year old girl, but now... now, I'm a victim. At least, that's what David and Andrew both called me. And the proof is staring right back at me. I rip my eyes from the mirror and get myself ready for bed.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I needed to go to school. I needed normal. I needed it. I needed to focus on something other than what happened. Which convinced my mom to let me go to school, I never thought I'd have to do that. I almost regret it the moment I walk into the doors, though. Even with my hair down and somewhat in front of my face, everyone still stares at me. They can't take their eyes off of me, staring at my face. But instead of sinking back, I put my head higher and stand taller. This will not define me. It will not scare me into a corner or away from life. It will not make me walk away from Grayson. I will grow from this. I will learn. I will be strong. I have to be. I'm Annaliese.

_________________________
Okay. I want to know what will happen next. What do you think? Thanks so much! Keep reading and enjoying! 💖