The Goodbyes

Annaliese's POV
"I really wish I didn't have to go," I say, sighing.
"We really wish you didn't have to go either," Grayson and Ethan say at the same time. I smile.
"Please don't forget that when you go back in there again today," Ethan says with a look that means he's worried. I smile shyly. I don't want to forget them. I don't want to walk away from them.
"When are you gentlemen heading out today? Because you are welcome to stay as long as you need," my mom puts in.
"Thank you, Mrs. Dial," they both chime. They're so sweet. I wish Colin had been that respectful. "Because ms. Annaliese, sadly does not have a car..." my mom finishes, putting emphasis on the end. Ethan's eyebrows lift, showing he gets it while it takes a few more seconds for Grayson's eyes to light up, showing he got it as well. I laugh as Ethan shoves him arm a little.
"We would be honored to take her to school, mrs. Dial," Ethan chimes. Grayson nods in agreement. I chuckle again. Grayson flips his gaze to me after hearing me.
"Are you... laughing at me?" He asks, in a playful voice.
"Why of course not," I say, trying to stifle my giggle.
"There is only one person in this world that has a laugh like that, and that, is you," he says, all matter of factly. I can't help it and let out a loud laugh. "I knew it!" Grayson says as he points his finger at me. He looks at Ethan. "What shall be the punishment?" He asks.
"Well... I believe we have to have the punishment fit the crime, so... the tickle monster it is!" He screams the last part. I yell in response. I'm not ticklish when it comes to my sides, but if they both gang up on me, I'm dead. I get up to run, but so do they.
"I'm just supposed to go to school!" I protest. "We can work this out, right?" I say with my hands in front of me. "We can all just walk away from this and no one has to be tickle-monstered."
They look at each other and nod. "I guess that's fair. I laugh at Grayson's face everyday anyway," Ethan says.
"Hey!" Grayson punches him. I laugh again.
"Okay okay, you have to go. Drive safe and I hope you boys make it home safe! You're welcome anytime!" My mom says as she shoos us out the door. I'm walking ahead and I'm almost to the car when I hear a sudden rush of feet. 'Crap' I think.
"We will never forget!!" The boys yell like Spartacus as they run up behind me. Grayson grabs me from behind, wrapping his arms around my waist and arms, so I can't get free and Ethan tickles me. I start to laugh so hard it hurts.
"Oh my gosh! You guys are so unfair! It's two against one!" I say between laughs. And then Grayson lets me go. And I fall to the ground. "Look where this has gone! I'm so gonna be late for school," I say, catching my breath. They go on either sides of me and lay down with me. We all sigh together and I so wish we didn't have to spilt apart again.
"Like we said before, this won't be the last of the Dolan Twins you see," Grayson whispers.
"So you promise?" I whisper back.
"Promise," they both respond. That's old for me, so I pull myself up. Ethan gets up fine, but the big baby Grayson holds up his hand for help.
"Seriously? You're 17," I say.
"And you're 16. Got that one right," he says, winking, showing he remembered our game from earlier. I roll my eyes and give him my hand to help him up. With one big grunt, he's up.
"You're a lot stronger than you think," he says, surprised.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
The car ride was as silent as you would think from the new Three Musketeers. I was ready to face Colin again, but was also not ready to walk away from them. As we pull up to the school, I tell them to park in a spot on the teachers lot, and we all get out to say our goodbyes.
"I hate goodbyes," I say, feeling a sudden tightness in my chest.
"They're the worst," Ethan says, adding to my tightness. I almost start to cry, but before anything gets out, Grayson grabs one of my hands.
"Hey, look at me. I just told you 10 minutes that you're stronger than you think. I was for real. I need you to be as strong as you can be, facing all of them again," his stare is piercing through me.
"I'm scared. I was yesterday and I am again," I admit. Ethan grabs my free hand.
"That's normal. It's okay to be normal. But use your uniqueness and go show them how awesome you really are," he says, finishing with a wink.
"You guys are awesome. Thank you," I say. "It's gonna be hard without you, but I know you're there if I need you," I say looking into both of their eyes. I let go of Grayson and fall into Ethan's arms.
"We're really gonna miss you and your awesome sarcasm," Ethan says. I smile, letting go of him. I look up at Grayson. He gives me his famous smile, and I gladly fall into his arms. They wrap around me perfectly and I'm just the right height to hear his heart. It's beating kind of fast, but I know he's trying to put all of his emotion into the hug. I can't help but smile. I slowly let go of him and grab one of each of their hands.
"This time is for real," I say. "You aren't going to be able to just drive a couple of hours to visit me in a couple days. We aren't going to see each other for awhile," I sigh. I don't want to leave these two people who I have gotten so attached to in such a short amount of time.
"Until next time," they say together.
"Until next time," I say back, letting go of their hands and walking back into the sea of judging eyes.

________________________
I hope you guys enjoyed. Sorry it was shorter, and I hope you're enjoying it. Leave a comment or anything on your thoughts. 😘