eight

EIGHT

Letty walks into Eric's kitchen from the backyard and the teenager looks at his mom as she shuts the door behind her. "Have you heard anything yet?" The brunette asks Mrs. Matthews.

"I'm sorry, honey. They still haven't found the guys who hurt you and your friend." The older woman tells her as she gets snacks together.

The brunette sighs. "Of course not."

"Where's Sam?"

"His dad took him and his brother out of town." She tells her. "They were only here visiting for a few days when we got jumped."

"You want some ice cream?" Mrs. Matthews asks, hoping that a change of subject might brighten the younger girl's mood.

"Sure, why not? I'll use the cold bowl to ease the throbbing in my eyebrow." She says, more to herself than to her best friend's mom. Mrs. Matthews hands her an ice pack, and Letty sits down at the kitchen table. "Thanks."

"How's your lip?" She asks.

There's a huge knot in her eyebrow and her lip is split from the guys who attacked her and Sam the other night. The swelling seems to be taking its sweet time going down. And it's driving her absolutely crazy.

"Healing. Slowly, but surely." The brunette tells her. "I'm just glad I was finally able to ditch Miller after school this afternoon."

She chuckles as she looks at the teenager. "Your friend seemed pretty upset about you getting hurt. He's been sticking pretty close lately, huh?" She asks, and Letty nods.

"Like we're tethered."

"I think it's sweet." Mrs. Matthews says before going to get the others.

Morgan runs into the room soon after, dragging a pretty Asian girl from Letty's school right behind her. "Scarlett!" The little blonde yells, a smile spreading across her face when she sees her.

"Hey, kiddo." Letty smiles at her, and then looks at the girl that she ran in with. "Um, it's Linda, right?" She asks, and the raven-haired girl nods.

"Hi, Scarlett."

Eric walks in a few seconds later, after making a comment to his mom because Morgan was embarrassing him. "Oh, hey, Letty. I didn't know you'd be here." He says when he sees his best friend sitting at the table.

"Yeah, I guess I should probably stop showing​ up unannounced." The brunette says, and he shakes his head.

"No, it's fine." He tells her. "Did they catch those guys yet?"

"No, and they probably won't."

"Why do you say that?" He asks, confused by the way she said it, like she doesn't believe that they're even looking.