six

SIX

Eric chuckles as he keeps in step with his best friend, the two walking toward his house. He's been messing with her, wanting to get her to laugh because she hasn't seemed like she's been in the best mood lately.

"Hey, can I ask you something?"

Letty looks over at him, surprised that he seems a bit more serious than he's been acting since they left school. "Yeah. What's up?"

"What do you think Cory meant before?" He asks, glancing at her. "About me taking the wrong girl to the concert?"

"I...don't know." She shakes her head, but he already has a pretty good idea. "I mean, it's Cory — nine times out of ten, nothing he or Shawn says means anything. He was probably just trying to get under your skin even more because you were already annoyed."

"So, you don't think he had anyone in mind when he said it?"

"Like who?" She glances at him, and he shrugs.

Eric clears his throat then. "I never got to ask about your day trip with Miller." He says, and she looks at him as they start up the walkway to his front door.

"Because you don't like him."

"That's not true. He just thinks he's better than everyone else."

"You've never liked him." The younger girl argues, and he stops halfway to the door as he turns to face the brunette. "You always hated whenever he came to visit, and you weren't happy when I told you that he was moving here."

"He always tells you what to do instead of asking what you want to do; he's never treated you well." He shakes his head. "I don't understand what you could possibly see in a guy like him."

"He isn't a bad guy, Eric. He's my friend." She tells him. "You just don't know him well enough, that's all. He puts up a front around people that he doesn't know. He doesn't trust people."

"Yeah, sure. Or maybe he's just trying to steal my best friend because he knows how awesome you are." He says, trying to lighten the mood between them; he didn't mean to make her get defensive. His lips twitch into a small smile as he looks down at her, and she finally cracks a small smile as she looks into his light brown eyes.

"Shut up, Eric." Letty mutters as she nudges him toward the house, and he chuckles as he glances at her over his shoulder.

He opens the front door then and walks inside with his best friend trailing not too far behind him. "Hi, Mom. Hi, Weasel." He greets — that being what he calls his little sister.