seven

SEVEN

For the past few days or so, Eric's been teaching Morgan how to help him pick up girls when he takes her out. "Hi, I'm Morgan and this is my brother, Eric. He's very shy." She recites, and Letty shakes her head.

"Good girl." He chuckles as he rubs her head and then puts candy in her mouth.

"Eric, what are you teaching her?" Their mother questions as she walks over to where they're sitting in the living room.

"Nothing." He lies.

"I get to help Eric meet girls." Morgan tells her mom.

"No, you don't. She doesn't." He shakes his head, afraid he's gonna get in trouble. "You don't."

"My brother thinks you are so cute." She says and then opens her mouth for more candy.

"So, this is why you've been taking her to the mall." Their mom nods.

"I had no part in it." Letty quickly interjects. "While he was taking advantage of Morgan's willingness​ to spend time with her big brother, I was at work." She tells her.

"Well, I think it's great." Mrs. Matthews says as she sits down on the arm of the couch.

"You do?" The brunette questions, and Eric laughs as he gives Morgan more candy.

"I think it's a perfect way for you and your sister to spend quality time together." She tells Eric.

"Well, you know, some guys use a golden retriever. I figure, why not use the weasel here?" Eric​ says, and Mrs. Matthews nods.

"And that's why I don't date." Letty says.

"Hey, Weez." The teenage boy gets his sister's attention, then he whispers something in her ear when she moves closer to him.

Morgan turns to walk over to Letty, and the older girl raises her eyebrows as she looks down at her. "Eric says you're too pretty for any of the losers at your school." The little blonde says, and Letty looks over at Eric again to see that he's smiling as he looks at her.

They suddenly hear a car horn outside playing La Cucaracha, and the teenage girl's smile falls because she knows what that means.

"It's Grandma!" Eric yells as he gets up off of the couch and runs for the front door.

"Hey, it's Grandma!" Morgan quickly follows after him.

"Yeah, it's Grandma." Mr. Matthews says as he walks into the living room.

"And I should probably be leaving now." Letty says as she stands up from her place on the couch.

"Why?" Mrs. Matthews asks as Eric's parents look at her, obviously confused.