one

ONE

"I thought we were going home." Miller says as he walks beside Letty.

"You can go wherever you want." The brunette tells him as she continues down the cement in the familiar neighborhood. "I'm going this way."

"What's this way?"

"Your murder site, if you don't stop harassing me."

"Aw, come on, Scar. You know you can't live without me." He has a smug smile on his face as he slings his arm over her shoulders. "We're a pair, two-of-a-kind, two-peas-in-a—" The blond boy groans as he rubs his ribs. "You're a bitch." He grumbles, and she smiles up at him before shrugging out from under his arm.

"Leave me alone, pest." Letty jogs ahead of him, then walks up to her best friend's house.

An hour later, the brunette's laying on said best friend's twin-size bed tossing a foam football up into the air and then catching it. Eric, on the other hand, is standing by the white desk in his room, talking on the phone with a girl from their school. Letty's bored out of her skull as she waits for him to stop talking to the other girl, not that he's noticed her mild irritation. Or would really even care at the moment, if he did notice.

"You will?" Eric asks, and Letty can hear the smile in his voice as he speaks into the receiver.

...

"Okay, great."

...

"Yeah, me too."

...

"Alrighty. Okay, bye." Eric then hangs up the phone. "Yes!" He cheers as he jumps up into the air, clearly happy with how his conversation went.

"Yes!" Cory yells excitedly as he makes his way into the boys' room. He starts talking about a baseball game. His favorite team — the Philadelphia Phillies — just won.

"I'm going out with Heather Ralston." The older boy tells his brother.

"You know what that means?"

"It means every guy in the tenth grade wants to be me." Eric says — the two boys are definitely not talking about the same thing.

Eric then plops down onto the side of his bed and smacks Letty's leg. She nudges his side in retaliation,​ and he pushes her foot away from him.

"It means if they win Friday night, they're in the playoffs." Cory says, still talking about the Phillies.

"Uh, look, Cory, we gotta talk about something." The older boy tries to cut in.

"That makes the game we're going to the most important game of the year." He continues, beyond excited about this turn of events.