fifteen

⌜ chapter fifteen ⌟

"Hey, Letty, what are you doing today after work?" Eric asks as he walks over to his best friend; he sits beside her on the bench that she often goes to when she wants to draw and avoid people.

"Danny and I are going to the mall." She tells him, and he tries to mask his annoyance.

"You've been spending a lot of time with him lately." He says, and she nods.

"He's a nice guy, I like hanging out with him. So what?" The brunette asks, and he shrugs.

"So, you're just hanging out then? Or...are you guys dating?"

"Um, I don't know. What difference does it make? It's only been a few days." She says, and he just nods before walking away from her. His abrupt departure takes her by surprise, and she sighs.

Letty and Danny go to the mall later that day and head straight to the food court to get some food. They're eating when Jason — Eric and Letty's other best friend — makes his way over to the two of them. The boy with the brown hair sits down and looks at her.

"So, Eric just ditched me for some chick. I just moved back to town, and he left me for a girl. A hot girl, but still..." Jason says, and Danny just looks at him.

"How is this any different from all the other times that he's gotten a girlfriend or a date? Or any other time that you have, for that matter?" The brunette questions. "And, you know what, it's karma, buddy. How long have you been back in Philly, and you never came to say hi to me?"

"I didn't want you to hurt me." He tells her, and she narrows her dark eyes at him. "You know, your dad doesn't like my dad."

"And? I have no problem with your dad." She says, and he shrugs.

"Hey, Scarlett. How are you?" The blue-eyed boy smiles, and she punches him in the arm. "That tickled." He mumbles as he looks back over at Eric, rubbing his bicep. "It's not fair. She's beautiful. She's perfect. Why'd she go for him and not me?" He questions.

"Ah, the eternal question." She says sarcastically, and Danny chuckles as he looks at her.

"You should probably take him home before his inflated ego makes him float away." Jason says as he points at Eric.

Letty turns and looks over at their best friend — Eric's smile is a mile wide and he's trying to flirt with the older woman. She's going along with it, but it's pretty obvious that she doesn't actually like him. She's too old for him, to begin with. He starts taking pictures in front of a blank backdrop, and Letty sighs. This isn't going to end well for anyone involved.