twelve

⌜ chapter twelve ⌟

Eric walks over to Letty as she's going through her locker, and he holds a beautiful, full rose out toward the brunette. "Here, this is for you." He says, looking down at the rose that his dad cut from Mr. Feeny's bush this morning.

"Kristen wouldn't take it, huh?" She asks, and he shakes his head as she takes it from his hand.

"No, she doesn't deserve it anyway. So, now it's yours."

"Leftovers from your mom and the girl who's mad at you." She says sarcastically as she looks down at the red pedals. "Gee, I feel special."

"Hey, it matches your necklace — except my rose is a real red rose and not some small, rose gold charm that you wear." He says. "Where'd you get it anyway?"

"It was a Christmas gift." She tells him.

"From who?"

"Don't worry about it." The brunette says, shutting her locker and then walking away from him.

Miller finds her soon after and he takes the rose from her hand. Her eyebrows furrow and then she watches him throw the flower into a nearby trash can. She's about to yell at him when he raises his hand, holding up one finger, and she stops to glare at him.

"You're not gonna hold onto that rose like it was some sweet gesture or something." He tells her, and she just listens to him as he talks. "He was using that to try and smooth things over with another girl. You deserve better than some other girl's rejected peace offering."

The brunette sighs as she looks down. "Yeah, I guess you're right...but I like roses."

"No, you don't. You like the rose in Beauty and the Beast, and you like that the little one likes to draw them with you." He argues, and a small smile spreads across her face as she looks up at him again.

"Thanks, Miller."

"For what?"

"For giving me something that I thought I lost a long time ago." She says, and his expression softens as he realizes what she means.

"Hey, I mean... What's family for, right?" He shrugs, just as awkward with his emotions as his brother has always been, and she chuckles. "You're annoying." He mutters as he wraps his arm around her shoulders; he presses a kiss to the top of her head as they walk to their next class.

Letty goes over to​ Eric's after school to help him watch his siblings, like she promised him she would. The brunette walks in and sees that Shawn's there too. "Hey, so what are we doing?"