chapter 52

There was an explosion that blasted the windows to pieces and took out the woman behind the desk cold and Ty lee lay on the floor, unable to hear in the moment as she saw feet running towards her through the smoke. She tried to sit herself up but felt disoriented and confused from the blow, She was in shock, and as her eye sight adjusted she looked up and saw Jackson's face. He was saying something to her but she couldn't interpret it over the loud ringing noise in her ear. When he saw she wasn't responding her grabbed her arm and pulled her up, taking her weight over his shoulder and she hung onto him as her legs dragged on the floor. He carried her out of the main entrance room and into a private area using a key card he had stolen from one of the guards. He pulled her out of the dusty smoke filled room, into the clean white hall and sat her down against the wall before leaning down in front of her. Her hearing was coming back but slowly.

"Ty! Can you hear me?" He shouted and she could just about hear as she knodded. "We have to keep moving!" He said as he tried to help her up but she shook her head for a moment. "Ty! We gotta go!" He said in frustration.

"Just wait for a minute. I can barely hear a thing! I feel like i can't breathe. I'm no use like this. Just let me catch my breath." She shouted back and he stared at her for a minute before he sighed and sat down beside her. "Where are the others?" She asked.

"Suju is with Youngjae heading to the furthest part of the prison to find exo. JB and Yugyeom i have no idea where they are. I was too busy trying to find you amongst the smoke." Jackson said with a small laugh. "Let's just focus on us for now." He said. "How are you doing?" He asked. She tried to shift a little but winced as pain shot up her back.

"I'm getting there." She said. "My hearing is almost clear now." She said. "You wrecked my bloody back though." She said with a laugh as she tried to rub it better. "What even was that?" She asked.

"The explosion?" Jackson asked and she nodded. "Remember that giant bazooka BamBam picked up back at the warehouse?" He said and she immediately knew.

"Ah so it did come in handy in the end." She teased him and he nudged her with a laugh.

"Sorry for fucking up your back." He smiled at her. His face had black sut across it as it clinged to the sweat coming from his skin. Even when his face was covered in dirt he looked gorgeous and dreamy. She stared at him for a moment studying his face as she lay her head back against the wall. "What?" He smiled at her.

"Nothing." She laughed softly and he locked eyes with her. He looked deep into her emerald eyes, and it was as if he was seeing her for the first time. He smiled back at her before grabbing her dust covered hand and she looked at their fingers intertwining.

"I'm glad i got paired with you Ty." He said as he leaned back resting his head too.

"We've barely started yet. Save it for when we're out and alive." She said making him laugh.

"I'm serious." He laughed. "I honestly feel like i have a real connection with you, despite not having known you long." He said suddenly sincere.

"Really?" She replied. "I feel it too." She smiled softly. "I knew we'd be good friends from the moment i saw you." She said.

"Yeah, good friends." He laughed nervously before they sat in silence for a brief moment.

"Come on." Ty lee said as she pulled herself up with a heave while clutching her sore back. Jackson watched as she started walking slowly down the corridor before getting up himself and following her. Something was going on with his head and he couldn't quite work it out. The pressure of the rescue had him re-evaluating everything, but he had the mission to think about for now anyway so pushed his thoughts aside and pushed on with the rescue.