Chapter Five

A/N: Included a picture of Dereck to the right. ;D Happy reading!

* * *

A hand covers my mouth keeping me from getting louder. I squirm and talk muffled against the hand panicked and worried. My face is turned toward the unknown figure and my eyes meet up with a pair of emerald green eyes staring into mine. I slowly slump and calm down. He is muscular and has matted dark hair, his green eyes are framed by long lashes and his jaw is clenched, in frustration? He doesn't look like he could be a pet, but I have never heard of a human not being a pet, so he must be a well groomed pet from a rich house. He unclenches his jaw then looks out through the bush while also removing his hand from my mouth.  

"What are you doing in my owner's bush?" I demand.  

"I saw a few creatures break into this house and I figured I would skip my daily walk and investigate." He responds without even glancing back at me. Nosy is the word that comes to my head, but then I realize that he might have caught an idea of where they were heading! I shake him until he gives me his attention and then I clear my throat.  

"Did you see them come out with a pet in a bubble? Did you hear anything they said about where they were heading? Do you maybe recognize them at all?" I pry, throwing out questions like no tomorrow. His expression slowly turns to a confused one.  

"Slow down girl. One question at a time, okay?" He lets out a sigh and runs his fingers slowly through his hair before looking back at me. "I did see the pet, he looked badly beaten and I thought maybe he was being taken away for a crime. I did not hear a word from the creatures of a destination or place, but I did recognize the lion. He is a rich creature and well known around the world. I thought it odd that he would be at such a small and poor house as this." I scowl. I didn't think that the house looked small nor poor. In my conclusion he is a rich groomed pet if he is able to make these observations. I put those thoughts away and go back to the kidnappers. A lion, eh?  

"Do you happen to know where that lion lives then?" I pry further. He pauses for a minute, thinking, and nods.  

"I think I might, but if not, I can always find out." He grins and puts a hand on my shoulder as he leans in, his nose almost touching mine. "Follow me." He whispers and then slowly maneuvers into the neighboring bush. I follow slowly and keep a look out on the surrounding areas. He lifts up a circle of grass revealing a dark hole and gestures for me to go first. I hesitate then slide slowly in and fall about a few feet. I feel around and find a narrow opening and begin sliding through it towards a light that grows brighter as I approach. I can hear the pet close behind me and before I exit out into the light he grabs my arm. "They may not all be friendly, but they are allies. There is a feud going on and while the creatures are battling it out we must decide where we are in this debate as well." He whispers. "Before you go into that light I want to make sure you are willing to stand by your opinion whether many follow or not."  

"I'm not sure what feud is going on, but I know that I am capable of sticking to my opinions no matter how popular they may or may not be." I whisper as I slowly inch closer to the light. I want to know why these creatures have been feuding, and I want to know where my part is in all of this. The pet lets go of my hand and I step into the light. The room is huge and is filled with spiraling staircases. The walls are bordered with bookcases and furniture and there are various pets with a few creatures mixed into the crowd. I take in a breath before slowly letting it out trying to take in the view.  

"My name is Dereck by the way." Dereck whispers into my ear sending chills down my back and pink to rise on my cheeks. I nod slowly and murmur under my breath.  

"My name is Elsie, and I am an ownerless pet."  

"Perfect!" He shouts and grins as he shoves my further into the room. "This hide out is solely funded by my owner. She believes that pets and creatures should be living side by side instead of one being dominant. She's such a dreamer I tell her, but it is true that sooner or later things will change." He keeps pushing me until I'm in the center of the room. "This is Elsie! An ownerless pet that is ready to add to the cause and make a difference!" He shouts and rests his hand on my lower back. I feel my face heat up and I am only able to manage a small little wave. Everyone cheers and greets me with a smile. I sure hope they can help me find Dominic, because . . . My heart aches a bit and I put a fist over my chest. He is my friend and the only other pet that knows me most.  

The room calms down and everyone goes back to their tasks. Dereck looks at me and nods his head to a wooden door, and also the only door on this floor. I walk towards it with Dereck following me and making short conversation with the other pets. Instead of pressing a button I turn a knob and walk into the room. Dereck follows in after and shuts the door, closing out the noise. I take my time to look around. My eye catches on an old wooden bed with drapes coming down from the ceiling to create privacy for the sleeper. I drift further to a little closet with knobbed sliding doors and a long tall chest decorated with many drawers, if I remember right it is a jewelry chest. There is also a wooden dresser drawer and a book shelf.  

"Like it?" Dereck questions, scanning my face for an expression to explain.  

"I actually do. It's different from most of the high tech objects I see above." I answer as my gaze keeps returning to the bed, making my body weak and tired. "I'm glad I found you or else I would still be wandering about trying to find Dominic."  

"Dominic?" Dereck repeats. "Who is Dominic?"  

"Oh! He is my friend, another pet I lived with. He was the one captured in that bubble and taken away by the kidnappers." Dereck looks around slowly then nods.  

"Well hopefully they haven't sent him automatically to the breeding center, or else it will be very difficult to get him back." He states. I sigh sadly and agree with a nod. "I will have some people look into it and find out where he could be. In the meantime get some rest. Maybe even take a calming shower." He winks and gestures to the door beside the closet that I seemed to completely miss. I blush for a few seconds and wait for him to leave the room before I head to the shower and then take a good rest in that comfy looking bed.  

                                                                    * * *

I have a dream that Dereck is a lion and is trying to lead me into bed. He claws at my arms trying to grasp them and I turn away into Dominic's arms, wrapping tightly around me keeping me safe. I hear Dereck whisper in a faint growl in my ear, "You shall always remain a pet." I scream and I tumble onto the floor wrapped up in the thin sheets from my bed.  

It was a weird dream, but enough to scare me awake. I sigh and lay sprawled out on the floor until I decide I am ready to get up. Yesterday was one long day, which I think accounts for that crazy dream. I throw the sheets back onto the bed and walk over to rummage through the dresser.  

"Find anything good to wear?" I hear Dereck ask across the room. I stare mindlessly at my clothes before turning to him. His green seductive eyes catch mine and I quickly look away.  

"Did you find out anything about Dominic?" I change the subject, turning back to the dresser finding a tank top decorated with paws walking over the front and throw it onto the edge of the bed.  

"He is in the lion's mansion being held captive. They are debating on what they will do with him and what next step they will take. I don't think they knew that you were also there Elsie." 

"Good. That's exactly what I thought too." I pull out a pair of tan shorts and throw that atop the tank. "Will we be able to rescue him?" I hear Dereck fidget just a bit and then hear him clear his throat.  

"Is this guy, more than a friend Elsie?" I sigh and feel the urge to bang my head against the dresser until some blood shows. Instead I turn to him and shake my head.  

"Don't worry Dereck, I have no love interest." I push him out to get dressed and groan. The guy barely knows me and he is worried about me being in love with someone. I smile to myself a bit amused then straighten up and enter into the big room. Everyone is doing their own thing as I weave through and take a closer look at things. I make my way up the spiral staircase lingering and brushing my fingers along the railing and gawk at all the weapons lining the walls as I make it to the second level. Holy shit. I walk along the wall to a door and open it slowly. As I peek my head in a knife manages to glide right by my head and make a small scratch on my cheek. My eyes get big and my breath catches in my throat. What the hell did I walk into?! A private room, maybe? Am I trespassing?! I get ready to turn and shut the door behind me like nothing happened until I am pulled by the shoulders into the room.