Chapter Sixteen

Dominic has taken down the bulk of attackers and Garrett has tied up Russell. Everyone else is scuffed and sore but no extreme damage has been done. Erin has pulled out the blue print once more scanning it slowly.  

"It looks like we are closer than I thought. This floor is a few below Gregor's office." Erin states not moving his eyes from the blue print.  

"Then what are we waiting for...we don't need his lackey so leave him tied up here to be dealt with some other time." Cindy responds quickly.  

Erin points to an elevator and I can't help but want to laugh. I guess the simpler the better. Everyone starts piling into the elevator and before it closes Cindy whispers that she has a plan she wants to run it through to us before we end up at Gregor's room.  

                                                                                     * * * 

My gut is turning and twisting as my mind is frantically fluttering around with the answers I am hoping to get before we give an end to Gregor's reign. Every "ding" from the elevator my palms get sweatier. My brain is screaming at me to turn back, that it's a bad idea and I am dumb for letting the elevator go further. I shake my head and let the obvious thought drift in. Once this is over, we can begin a better world with this new found freedom.  

Dominic's rough hand finds mine and he lightly grabs hold of it, giving it a squeeze of reassurance. The elevator dings once more and I flinch causing his hand to hold tighter along with a hand on my shoulder that startles me. I look back and Grace is smiling with reassurance. I sigh and relax a little, drowning out the elevator dings, I glance up to look at the room number and my gut tightens at the sight. One more ding left before we hit his room...  

Cindy clears her throat to get our attention and takes in a long breath.  

"I have told all of you the plan, keep to it and things will go exactly as needed. We will take down Gregor and begin a better world all in one step." The elevator dings and my hairs stand on end. "The door will open after the next ding, so forget any fears you have brewing and get Charlie back!" I can see a silent tear fall slowly from her right eye, and I think I am the only one to witness it before she swipes it away.  

                                                                              * * *

Ding. The noise rings and echoes through my numbed mind. I see in the corner of my eye Dominic, glancing at me with a hidden worry in his eyes. I look down. Everything seems to be going in slow motion as the doors open. Gregor is exactly across from us sitting high and mighty in his "royal throne" grinning triumphantly like he has won the battle before it's begun.  

I scan the room and Charlie is in the farthest left corner hunched over and unconscious. He, luckily, hasn't been injured or harmed in any way but Gregor's recruits are surrounding him ready to take action if need be. Then I spot Dereck with a patched up chest in the right hand corner sitting in a simply designed chair. His stare is so sickening and filled with no emotion. I see Dominic tense up and place his hand over his cylinder.  

"Is this my own creation here to kill me off? Blonde hair and striking blue eyes, every quality I wished was in the inferior race called "pets" and now I have it. Luckily I have the power to take you back, sweetie, and soon replicate you to make more gorgeous creatures in this world. After time goes by enough replicating will replace any of the lowly creatures I killed off to get to you." Gregor barks out a laugh and then grins with a stare that burns through me.  

That did it. Cindy screams loudly with anger and pushes past me beginning the fast terrifying battle I was about to participate and witness in. I swallow nothing and grab hold of my baton. I can do this. I take a blink before stepping out of the elevator.