Chapter 5: The truth about Rachael's Dad

The Truth about Rachael's Dad

     I went to school early that morning without Shade.

     I was going to be late for an important meeting at the Student council. I was luckily the 3rd person to get there on time but as long as I got there in time, it was fine. 

     By the time everyone was there, the room felt immediately silent and awkward.

     "So.." I said. "Who has any ideas the theme of the school's dance?"

     Everyone exchanged looks with one another. 

     Abby then raised her hand.

     "Yes Abby?"  

     "S-since it's almost October can't we have a Halloween theme?"

      Everyone started to nod and agree to the idea.

     "All in favor for the Halloween theme?"

      Everyone immediately raised their hands. 

     "Alright then. Its settled, our theme is Halloween. Let's go get started then?"

     "Yeah!" everyone cheered. 

     Everyone set off and headed out first. I went to grab my things and headed out the door and surprisingly, waiting outside of the door was Shade.

     "Hey." He said.

     "Oh. Um. Hi?" 

     "So what was the meeting about?" He asked.

     "Sorry, student council only."  

     "Aww come on Pres! Can't you give just a little hint?" He begged.

     "Nope. Sorry."

     "Come on I won't tell! I swear!" 

     I laughed. "Nope. You gotta wait like the rest of the students here."  I had to admit, Shade was not such a bad guy after all. 

     He seemed so sweet and nice. I couldn't wait for school to end.

     Okay, Fine.  I may kind of actually like-like him.

     When the school bell ring at last period I was going to scream in happiness. 

     Shade left home without me to get start cooking the meals. Then, at the same time, my mom called.

     "Hey mom!"  

     "Oh. Hello sweetie."  

     "What's wrong? You sound so sad." I said. 

     "Come home quickly.  You and I need to talk about something very important."

     "Oh..okay mom." She hung up.

     I wondered what she wanted to talk about that was so important.

     I rushed home, and sitting on the sofa was my mom. She patted the cushion that was next to her.

      "Sit." she told me.

     I sat.

     "Sweetie..there is something that I had been hiding from you ever since you were a little girl." 

     "What?" I asked.

     "Your father...never died in a car accident."

     "Wait what?! Then how did he die then?"  

     "He...gave his soul to the devil."  

     I gasped and started to cry.

     "I thought you said he was a good man that gave smiles to everyone he met, you told me he was successful, YOU told me that he was a man that no one couldn't possible hate him!"  

     " I know sweetie, I know."

     "Then why did he gave his soul to the devil!" I shouted.

     "He did it for you dear." 

     "What?! For me?!"  

     "Rachael, sweetie, you died at birth..."  

     I couldn't believe it.  I died at birth?  How would I die at birth and still be here?  My father gave his soul to some creature for me?  I felt tears in my eyes threatning to shed.

     "I...died. at birth?! i'm not suppose to even be alive?!"  

     "That's...that's not true.."  She said soothingly.  "Your father wanted you alive so badly, he wanted you so much that he gave away his soul for your life."  

      "So...dad is gone...because of me?"....My cheeks felt hot and more and more tears came running down, staining my shirt.

     "No sweetie its not your fault."  

     "I'm not even suppose to be alive right now?!"  

     "Sweetie calm down!"

     I took deep breathes and stayed calm.

     "Right now...the devil is out to get your soul."

     "Why?! if dad gave away his so for my life then why does the devil still want my soul?" 

      "After he took your father's soul. he said that he'll will came back to get yours.  He said that you obtained something very powerful that every demon or angel would want to get a hold of."

      I was shocked. I was finding this out now?!

     "He tried to take away your soul before when you were seven but luckily he got away when I got a priest over at our house."  

     "So i'm in danger?"  

     "Oh, sweetie i'm so sorry." She had tears in her eyes. We both cried and cried on the sofa. 

     "Rachael, I was thinking of transferring you to a holy school where he can't get you." 

     "Mom! No!"  

     "Sweetie it's for your own good!"  

     "No! The school year is almost over just let me finish this year and you can send me to any school you want." 

     She hesitated for a moment and sighed. "Alright."  

     Then, my watch went off. It was seven o' clock.

     I was late for dinner at Shade's house.

     "Mom, i'm going to get dressed and go eat dinner at Shade's house."  

     She wiped her tears away and gave me a smile.

     "He's such a nice boy. Go! hurry you're going to be late!"  I ran off to get dressed.