XXX. Blind Spot

As I held my phone in front of me with a shaking hand, the last remaining bit of security and control slipped through my fingers. I felt everybody's gaze piercing through me, but couldn't pry my eyes away from the black screen. Their urgent questions were flying through the air and resonated all around me, but all I could think about was mom. How do I save her from Dark? 

Jack's cold hands suddenly gripped my wrists and he shook me. 

"Y/N! Hey! Are you okay?!" he interrupted my thoughts. I blinked and looked into his blue eyes, now flooded with panic and worry. 

"Y-yeah, I am. I'm fine. But I have to go, now," I urged and swiftly got up on my feet, immediately feeling dizzy. Mark's arm sprang towards me before I could fall and he reassuringly supported my back. 

"You can't go alone, don't be crazy. I'll go with you," Mark offered. 

"Shouldn't Anti go?" Jack asked, pointing towards the mess of a demon lying in the bed next to him. He looked weak, even worse than before. 

"Are you kidding? Look at him," Mark frowned. 

"He looks-"

"Like crap. Yeah."

"I'm right here," Anti's voice softly mumbled. 

Jack sighed and nodded, "yeah, you're right. I'll stay with him." 

I watched them all nervously as I felt like every second was time wasted, but as Mark turned on his heel and was walking out of the room followed by Jack, who was desperately repeating "be careful, will ya?", I couldn't help myself but shuffle towards Anti. His hand immediately reached for mine and I held it, placing a tender kiss on his knuckles. He chuckled quietly and pulled me closer, our lips meeting. 

"It's going to be okay, she's going to be okay," he assured me after I pulled away, and he softly tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. 

I nodded, despite having a hard time believing that, but seeing him like this made me way too mushy, "will you be okay?" 

"Of course... before you even know it," he smiled faintly, and his eyelashes fluttered in exhaustion. 

I kissed his forehead and stood up straight, "Think about me while I'm gone, will you?" I smiled and made my way to the door. 

"Always do," Anti whispered. 

---

"Can't this drive any faster?!" I urged nervously. 

"I'm already going over the speed limit!" Mark exclaimed, offended. 

I gave him a disapproving look. A death stare. I was already annoyed and bitter, because they didn't let me drive. Apparently I was in no condition to do so, but Mark wasn't helping it in any way. 

He looked at me briefly before pushing his foot more on the gas pedal, and as the car sped up, I finally relaxed a bit into my seat, and closed my eyes. 

"So uh... you and Anti are now a thing?" he asked after a while, putting a strange emphasis on the last word, and interrupting the calming murmuring of the radio. 

I stared at him, folding my arms on my chest, "you were spying on us?" 

"I didn't mean to!" 

"Uh-huh,"

"Well, you're not denying it, so..." 

"I don't know what we are, okay? I don't think he knows either. But we'll figure it out once this is all over," I asserted, but the lack of confidence behind it showed I was trying to convince myself as well. Thankfully, he didn't feel the need to ask about it anymore, and soon I found myself drifting off. 

Loud static noise came from the radio, and my eyes snapped open. The sharp lights of our car were piercing through the darkness and revealed a silhouette at the very end of the light's reach. The car was moving fast, and I quickly recognized him - Dark, standing in the middle of the road, a twisted smile on his face. His head twitched as we got closer and I impulsively covered my face. But there was nothing. We didn't hit anything. 

I looked at Mark, terrified, "was that -?!"

"Dark?" he asked, and turned his head slowly towards me. His image split into two for a brief moment, before he leapt towards me, his hands going for my throat. 

I inhaled sharply and opened my eyes, my palms hitting the glove compartment painfully. 

"Y/N?! Jesus, what just happened?!" Mark cried out, his eyes switching from me to the road. 

I watched him cautiously, and rubbed my neck where I felt Dark's grip just a second ago. 

"Nightmare. Just a nightmare," I explained and started breathing deeply to calm myself and my racing heartbeat down. 

I didn't dare to close my eyes again, and they were burning by the time we finally reached my parent's house. The car lights illuminated the hydrangeas faintly swaying in the night's wind, and I forcefully opened the door before Mark could even park. I ran to the door and jammed my key in the lock, opening it with a single smooth motion, before busting in. 

I stood in the pitch black hallway and listened. But there was nothing, except for a steady ticking of a clock on the wall. I placed my keys between my fingers, ready to attack anything, as I was quietly making my way into the living room. My hand reached for the light switch and I blinked a few times as the chandelier almost blinded me. 

"Mom?!!!" I screamed out, and waited for a reply. For anything. Any sound. But all I could hear was the car's engine outside stopping and Mark coming in too. 

I reached for my phone and called her, nervously looking around. I noticed the record Anti put in the gramophone back then was still there. I remembered Mia, coming in that night-

"Baby?! Hey, sweetheart!" her voice finally sounded after the frustrating beeps. 

"Mom?! Hey! Where are you?!" 

"Oh you won't believe it! Your dad took me on a little vacation, isn't that the sweetest thing ever?" she giggled, "why, is everything okay? You sound really worried!" 

"I - I'm back home. You called me before?"

"Oh. Oh no, I did? That must've been by mistake, I am so sorry, baby!" 

"What?" 

"I didn't call you. But stay home if you like! We'll be back soon," she promised. I quickly mumbled something and hung up, just as Mark's footsteps echoed behind me. Slowly, I put my phone back into my pocket and closed my eyes for a moment. 

"She's not here... But you already knew that," I turned around and faced him, his lips curving up into a smile. His image split, the red and blue illuminating the walls around us. With a single glitch he regained his original look. He brushed off his suit and his eyes turned black. 

"C l e v e r   l i t t l e   t h i n g ," he nodded in approval. 

I was trapped. Away from anyone who could help me, he got us all exactly where he wanted us. Again. I didn't let him see my fear of him. 

"Mark...?" 

Dark snickered in disgust, "M a r k . . . " he repeated bitterly, "y o u   l o s t   h i m   a t   t h e   P i e r .   N o w   h e ' s   m i n e .   A s   y o u   a l l   w i l l   b e ." 

---

Hello, darlings! 

I hope you all are doing well! I'm sorry it took me so long to finally update, but good god. It's coming to an end and I couldn't force myself to bring it closer to it. But here it is! 

*Pssst!*  If you're bored and want to read something, I wrote another fic about Jack's ego - Chase Brody! ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Thank you so much for reading as always, and I'll see you soon. Ish. With the (probably) last chapter! 

Love, Andrea